Cox's Orange Pippin First Try

Here this year was probably everything a Cox’s needs for optimum quality except that it ended abruptly and too soon. Maybe a little warmer now and then would have been nice; I understand that Cox’s performs best in the English weather, and since I’ve never been to England I’m only guessing that our damp, cool summer might mirror theirs. And this may be the best year I ever get for this apple.

So mebbe this apple this year isn’t perfect, but that didn’t stop it from being really, really good. They’re famous for their flavor. Check. Known to have good texture. Check. Russeted. Check. On the hard side, check, juicy, and aromatic, conical, yellow-fleshed, sharp-sweet, check, check, check and check, check and check again.

If you can grow this one successfully you should. One, it’s justly famous. Two, its famous flavor is something of a touchstone or calibration standard, in the same way the “sky” and “blue” go together. Not knowing how this apple tastes is like loving music and not knowing what a violin sounds like. Add this to your list for sure.

https://www.orangepippin.com/varieties/apples/coxs-orange-pippin

:-)M

15 Likes

Good luck. That is a variety I am interested in. Our temperatures are somewhere between England and Holland, with Mediterranean precipitation patterns. I have similar hypothesis that any fruit that thrives in Holland will perform even better in our dry Summers.

1 Like

@Marknmt, I grow Queen Cox either a sport or seedling of the famous parent. Pippin states the flavor is the same as Cox Orange Pippin. It does pretty well in my climate, although that’s different from yours. Supposedly self pollinating. I agree, very tasty fruit, although I don’t know whether my taste buds appreciate the nuances. Plus, my terroir might not bring put the best for that cultivar. Hope yours is wonderful for years to come!

1 Like

Hello,
My cox has been in the ground now for 12 years. It is by far my favorite apple to eat. I live in SE Michigan zone 6a. Also, keep in mind that cox is grown in Northern England. Stephen Hayes who lives in the South has had difficulty growing cox.
The down side for me is that Cox is the most disease and insect prone apple in my orchard. I have to spray a lot.
The other secret is I sometimes leave it on the tree too long and it goes mealy fast.
When ripened and picked properly there is no better at least here anyway.

5 Likes

I’m in an urban Zone 4b environment, so possibly more of a Zone 5. We had a mild winter (20-21) and moderate drought through the summer. I picked my first Cox’s Orange off my espalier today, seems like it might be a bit green yet. I told myself that I have to wait until my husband gets home from work before I slice into it. This will be the first I’ve tasted!

7 Likes

Sure looks nice! I hope it’s everything you’re hoping for. I sure was impressed by them.

1 Like

Gorgeous, wow!

I’m guessing it will be delicious.

I had a graft of Cox’s Orange at my old house. I don’t spray, I got a few good ones. There were too many varieties on that tree to keep track of them all and pick them at the right times and such.

I found Rubinette to scratch the itch, and be easier to produce apples better than most of the others.

2 Likes

I know that feeling!

1 Like