Malus sieboldii – Toringo crabapple or Siebold’s crabapple
Malus sieversii – Asian wild or Almaty apple
Malus sikkimensis – Sikkim crabapple
Malus spectabilis – Asiatic apple, Chinese crabapple
Malus sublobata – Yellow autumn crabapple
Malus sylvestris – European wild apple
Malus toringoides – Cut-leaf crabapple
Malus transitoria – Cut-leaf crabapple
Malus trilobata – Lebanese wild apple, erect crab apple, or three-lobed apple tree
Malus tschonoskii – Chonosuki crabapple and pillar apple
Malus yunnanensis – Yunnan crabapple

1 Like

You list “Prairie” I grown a variety called “Prairie Fire” you could look up the scientific name for it to see if they are the same.

1 Like

I added a graft of this crabapple. The leaves are a little different looking than apples.

1 Like

I grow Malus fusca (sort of)- it is serving as rootstock to Kingston Black and Yarlington Mill. They are doing well!

I also have a red-leafed M. transitoria x unknown pollen parent clone called “Royal Raindrops” as a ornamental tree in the front yard. It has a somewhat different habit for how it blooms than domestic apples and crabapples. The fruit is cranberry flavored after it hangs on the tree after frosts. It would probably make a nice jam.

1 Like

I’ve grafted 4 varieties of malus sieversii that is offered by GRIN. They are only 2-3 years old so have not produced any fruit yet.

2 Likes

I have 5 Flowering. The description was Robinson Flowering Crabapple…

1 Like

My dad had a collection of a dozen or so native crabs he’d collected from around east-central Alabama… all were root suckers… some M.angustifolia, some probably M.coronaria. He loved those hard little sour/astringent green apples… they’d keep all winter long stored on the unheated back porch.
I’ve got grafts and a sucker from one of his with the largest fruits growing here, though the fruits are not nearly so large as they were on the tree back home… I sure thought they were well over 2"… but not here… have not really looked at it to try to figure out which species it is.
M.ioensis - probably Bechtel crab - tree on the grounds of the community college across from my old office… I think I have a graft of it somewhere out there in the orchard/nursery beds.

1 Like

We grow Malus ionensis where I work. Very slow growing and produces small hard fruits that seem to hang all winter. Not sure if anything eats them as they never seem to soften.

1 Like

Deer will usually eat those hard, sour little fruits over the course of the winter. However, they barely even touched the bumper crop produced last year by the large AL-origin tree I’ve planted roadside at the end of my driveway.

3 Likes