Crazy grafts

I have grafted some euro pears to buckthorn and they took

I am in a war against buckthorn

peargraft

euro pears appear like they can be grafted to a number of genus of plants

1 Like

how long have they been growing for? Id be surprised if that combo has staying power but would be glad to hear otherwise!

Buckthorn is rugged alright. At least the kind that grows most here (glossy) doesnt have actual thorns.

1 Like

Hey @hobilus,

hope your summer is going well in spite of all the rain.

It was a short-lived experiment; most leafed out, and 2 had at least 12" of new growth to the point where I thought they acted just like a callery graft, but I asked Clark about it, and he said they would most likely eventually fail.

So I went back to my war on buckthorn and ripped them all out. But at least a few, at the time, looked like they were very very happy. I have too many projects as it is. And my war on buckthorn is never ending.

2 Likes

ditto @rubus_chief. Your yard must be extra juicy these days. Im sure glad I live on a hill lately.

Pear seems to be about the most cosmopolitan graft wise of any species. All of the other species in that list of oddball pear rootstocks is at least in the same family- Rosaceae. I hadn’t realized this, but Rhamnaceae isnt tooooo far removed from Rosaceae. Makes sense actually thinking about the morphology of it- the fruit being a drupe. People tend to mistake them for cherries. Id think it was a streech to have it work, but the proof is definitely in the pudding, and 1 ft of new growth is nothing to sneeze at. The union could still wind up being weak but your results would seem to suggest “compatibility” at least generically. The most basic types of “incompatibility” would tend to manifest as low or no vigor. Now Im going to have to try it! We have only glossy buckthorn here. Seems you guys have common buckthorn there in the Champlain Valley. Thats what I see everywhere up in Grand Isle when we camp there. Theyre listed as separate genera now, I noticed.

3 Likes

This one is still green, and even looks like it wants to take, but no real growth or much callus yet:

I did a new “Duke” avocado graft on a vigorous Umbellularia water sprout today:

One other avocado/Umbellularia graft from this year also seems to have some budswell, but only slightly:

I think that was also “Walter Hole,” but it might have been something else.

2 Likes