Creative uses for aluminum ladders

My neighbor was throwing away two ~16’ sections of aluminum ladder, likely to make space for their workout room in the garage. Naturally, after nobody picked them up during the day I claimed them while walking the dog last night.

What are some uses for a free aluminum ladder other than harvesting fruit? Some I’ve considered:

-Support for a high tunnel
-Cutting to make a custom “harvest table” (two 4’ sides and one long 8’ side to stand on)
-Veggie vine climbing trellis
-Supports for potted bench grafts
-Some sort of vertical gardening support along a fence or ABOVE a walkway (this is appealing as I am quickly running out of room to plant things)

6 Likes

@disc4tw

Cannot imagine anyone giving up the chance to extend their reach to 16 feet taller. Ladders have countless uses! Imagine your town was flooded today game room or ladder? Imagine wolves or other animals were at ground level. Mounting solar panels or roofing cannot be done without a ladder. Painting cannot be done without a ladder. Those are just things a ladder is used for as a ladder but there is much more you are planting a garden and need your rows straight and spaced properly luckily you have a ladder a 16 foot straightedge. Temporary fencing in a pinch two 16 foot ladders on top of each other depending on width. One on each side with supports in the middle make a great tv antenna tower. They could have weights tied to them and drug behind a tractor to level things. It works better with old steel box springs. The box springs get destroyed after a few weeks of dragging them i still have a set out there i used for that.

6 Likes

I like the vertical gardening idea. Wow. Thats a lot of ladder. Create a 14’ X shaped structure? ^ tall peak?
Tie them to a tbar and stack them horizontally? I have some bent up 10’
Sections. Ladders are worth a lot of money.

4 Likes

I can’t believe someone would through away a ladder like that. It probably has $30 worth of scrap.
One thing I wouldn’t use it for though is as a ladder. I don’t go up more than 3-4 steps on a ladder anymore.
Good score

4 Likes

I already have a ladder to use as a ladder. The straight edge idea is a good one. I don’t have much left to level at my place but that’s something I hadn’t thought about.

3 Likes

Scrap was my first thought actually, but then I realized they are worth keeping around.

2 Likes

I would make a big ass grape arbor out of it.

6 Likes

Or a hop trellis!

My other neighbor owns a machine shop down the road. I should ask how hard it would be to powder coat these. That would look super slick.

2 Likes

Mount on some posts for a grape or kiwi arbor.

Or cut one in half to be the supports.

4 Likes

I have some old iron ladders that were used to climb up to storage tanks.

Also had a fubard cattle panel and an old drum that had a rusted out bottom.

All are scrap worthy but the birds said they will take them.

1 Like

If those are structurally good , safe , the best use for them would be for …wait for it ……
As ladders !
I , personally would not make a trellises or other out of them , as there will come a day you wish you ( or someone you know )had a ladder that size

5 Likes

We gave away similar tall ladder when we moved 10 years ago. Somebody scooped up the ladder in a matter of seconds, we’re glad they did. The risk that my husband could hurt himself climbing up the tall ladder is greater than the money. At this age, your body is not easily reparable.

3 Likes

I don’t honestly have anything at my place that I would ever need a ladder this size. I have access to even longer ones to borrow if I ever did need one though. I don’t plan on any of my fruit trees ever being taller than 16 feet either, so pruning shouldn’t be necessary at that height.

2 Likes

Another thought I had would be to design custom square pots for planting trees or shrubs (or veggies etc) within the rungs as a form of raised bed. Even properly sized round pots with a sturdy rim could work.

2 Likes

They could be cut in half to make nice size picking ladders for smaller trees ?

4 Likes

That’s a fair point! They would be lighter than the fancy one I currently have.

2 Likes

@Hillbillyhort

I thought about that adding 8 posts. They could be equally spaced in rows of two’s x4. That would be a great kiwi arbor. Personally i would try to get them even higher to 10 feet or so. Grapes would do great on that if you put one on each end. Imagine drilling holes in the ladder extended a 3 foot threaded rod through and putting bolts on the ends https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/national-hardware-4000bc-5-8-in-x-11-x-36-in-threaded-rod-zinc?store=1949&cid=Shopping-Google-Local_Feed&utm_medium=Google&utm_source=Shopping&utm_campaign=&utm_content=Local_Feed&gclid=CjwKCAjw1ICZBhAzEiwAFfvFhFsnKFLxesKOCNp8N9fnrIE52SVCcX2QYAGV3iAm4ZhE8KqoWehHmhoCx_cQAvD_BwE

If your supporting less you need less bolt https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/national-hardware-4000bc-1-4-in-x-20-x-72-in-threaded-rod-zinc

You could always go duel purpose and add 8 foot posts to your border with grapes on top effectively fencing out deer in the process.

1 Like

Set them on concrete blocks then you can put your bee hives on them.

If I had the room they would make a fine beehive stand.

I am considering completely re-vamping the north side of my house and moving the “walkway” so it’s in the planting bed currently abutting the house. Moving that bed away from the house will give it just enough sunshine to actually grow some more trees. Instead of trees part of the path could be an arbor. I could even hang one side off the house and one side on posts to widen the available space.

1 Like