Crown gall on young peach/nectarine tree

Hello,

I have a couple questions regarding my young peach trees growing in zone 6 Michigan. Soil here is quite sandy. I attached pictures of a Artic Glo (Lovell) I removed that was stunted and not growing well. Photo 1 looks like a gall to me. Is this correct?

I have a White Lady (Lovell) tree spaced about 17 feet away that appears to have a swollen root flare. Does this look like a crown gall forming? Photo 2

I have had a few trees already get severe gall formations on the stem and roots which were removed a month ago or so. Those two trees were Reliance (Semi Dwarf unknown rootstock) and Artic Fantasy (Unknown Rootstock). Now that I’m aware of this issue I am looking much closer at the base of my trees. I’m worried this will be a widespread problem.

I would appreciate feedback/input from you guys. Thanks!

It will only allow me to post one photo at a time since I am a new user.

Photo 2

Hello Thomas, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear your tree was not doing well.

Have a look here for pictures of crown gall.
https://growingfruit.org/t/crown-gall-surgery

Your trees root flares are bulbous but it doesn’t have the lumpy tumerous growth appearance of crown gall others have shown.

Thank you for the reply. The two trees I removed a month ago had tumorous growths like what is in the photos you linked. The growths were not as large though. I believe the trees had much more time to allow the tumors to grow before I noticed them. After I became aware of the issue I started looking at my younger trees more carefully. I just wanted to make sure these were not early formations of galls on them.

As far as it just appearing as bulbous rootstock, that is great to hear. I can’t remember what it looked like when I planted it and if it has swollen more.

Thank you for your input.