Cruel but effective squirrel deterrent

Yes living in a residential area has its limits. I would like to hunt them this winter but not a safe or allowable place to shoot them. And it’s too dangerous to try to kill them without a gun. I’m just lucky to have a corn field just across the River so they are not likely to want to come back once they realize the shangri-la of the new home
Dennis

4 Likes

Such discretion in your words- the opposite of disgusting really. Thems is the facts of life Im afraid. I find willful ignorance off putting myself, but then everyone has their cross to bear.

Great tips. Ill have to try it sometime. Ditto groundhog. Love to hear your tips on trapping, dressing, and cooking them. Dont worry, @chingchungly, I’m just asking for a friend :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I must be lucky, my resident squirrel got killed in a road rage, there’s a squirrel in this neighborhood, he passes by my yard regularly, but he’s not eating my jujubes and apples for some reason. Btw, our neighbor just acquired a black lab, not sure if he did anything to the squirrel.

1 Like

what kind of effectivr range do you get off those? I thought they were strictly for very close range. Ill have to give them a try. .

That was hilarious

2 Likes

think of that proportionally, what we could jump 25 or 30 ft. whats more amazing to me though is how they can jump almost straight sideways that distance or more. watching them figure out how to game a new bird feeder is like watching a master thief crack a safe.

The reds are more persnickety and a good deal less pernicious. We had mostly reds for years, then grays proliferated for a time, driving the reds out. This year, both are scarce, so I finally have some hazels to harvest

3 Likes

You’re correct, very short range. Magnums give you a bit more range, just need a different cylinder for them. I’m generally plucking them off the deck railing when they rob the bird feeders, just can’t shoot too close to the feeder. No close neighbors so I can do so safely.

2 Likes

dont really even need to worry about neighbors. ive shot at a plastic bottle 15ft away with rat shot in a rifle and it didn’t even knock the bottle over or penetrate it. it just moved slightly.

2 Likes

Just noticed this vid on youtube…
Looks like a easy way to put the hurt on all your squirrel type pest… squirrel, rats chipmonks, etc…

5 Likes

Wow. The squirrels seem undeterred by the pile of corpses under the device.

3 Likes

I hope someone here gives this killer a try. It isn’t cruel at all, death is instantaneous. Mother nature has a much crueler fate in store for most of his-her creatures, including us. Death this route inflects less pain and fear in the animal than my current trap and kill methods and much less than natures boom and bust system of mass starvation that occurred over last winter and rather frequently over the course of time.

2 Likes

Another YT Vid of that thing in action.
If you have squirrel problems… this sure looks like a good solution.

Not cruel at all… instant death… over and over… as many as will come.

3 Likes