Cucumbers 2022

Itachi White has been my best cuke for several years now. Early, productive, and pretty tough. And it tastes great! What does well for you?

9 Likes

I like ā€˜Sweet Sliceā€™. I grew them from seed, last year and am growing them again. (Iā€™ll get a pic tomorrow.) Also - one called ā€˜Sweet Successā€™. Havenā€™t tasted that one yet. Should be ready in a couple more days.
And I always grow a ā€˜potā€™ of some standard - Straight 8 or one of those Marketmores.
I grow mine up high - in a tall planter. They are easier to deal with, that way.

3 Likes

Poona Kheere has been my favorite for a while. Disease free, productive, makes great pickles or good from fresh eatingā€¦and a little odd looking.
Poona Kheere - more mature, but still completely edible

Other favorites, Left to Right
Paraiso F1 from High Mowing - organic seed, some disease resistance, vigorous
Aonaga Jibai from Bakerā€™s Creek - Japanese, sweet, wet, drought and disease resistant
Dar from Baker Creek - definitely not a bush cucumber no matter what they say, best at camouflage, Polish, mild disease resistance, but I really like this one
(below) Dragonā€™s Egg from Bakerā€™s Creek - Croatian, sweet, mild
Poona Kheera - Indian, completely disease resistant and my favorite, pickles very well, brown when more mature but still edible, sweet, perfect.

(pictures are from last year as I am way behind)
@ampersand Whatā€™s your seed source on those? Iā€™ve never heard of them, but it they work for you, they should work for me! Added to the list for next year.

3 Likes

I get Itachi white from Johnnyā€™s.

3 Likes

I prefer a cucumber that doesnā€™t have a bitter skin. I like to wash and eat fresh or in a salad without peeling. My first planting was bitter so I planted another variety, Green Dragon in hopes of it meeting my preference. I have been away from gardening for awhile now and starting to get back at it and Iā€™m trying to determine which plants meet my needs. Do any of you have experience with Green Dragon.

2 Likes

Second year trialing ā€œChina Jadeā€ā€”and I remain favorably impressed. Productive, crisp and flavorableā€”even at large sizes. And Iā€™ve yet to taste a bitter one! One of the best cukes Iā€™ve ever eaten, and certainly the most consistent.

Better yet, they show promising disease resistanceā€”no downy mildew problems yet this year; they were infected with DM last year (when pressure was very high), but managed to tolerate infection and still produce a good crop. Cuke beetles are back (after a curious and welcome absence last season), but no wilt has been observed thus far. :crossed_fingers: My only sprays have been Milstop + Monterey Garden Friendly Fungicide (Bacillus amyloliquefaciens D747), and occasionally spinosad to keep the cuke beetles and squash bugs at manageable numbers. I normally do a rotation of neem oil with cucurbits, but have been in no shape to do the neem emulsification dance of late.

I enthusiastically recommend China Jade for trial by all cuke growers. Iā€™m going to be saving seed this year to see if I can get it even better adapted to my area.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve grown dozens of varieties in the past 25+ years. This year Iā€™m growing Tasty Jade (again) and trying out China Jade for the first time.

Not very impressed with China Jade, an heirloom: the skin is too tough, the flavor is too mellow and it has a softer interior consistency.

Tasty Jade, a hybrid, has a better flavor profile, very prolific, crunchier and awesome for bread and butter pickling! Been growing this one for several years. I might just grow this one going forward.

2 Likes

Could be a product of climate differencesā€”but just as likely a case of de gustibus non disputandum. :grin: In my cucurbit-unfriendly region, Iā€™m just happy to get a good supply of non-bitter cucumbers!

I only get really picky when it comes to watermelons! :wink:

2 Likes

I like Diva cucumber, in fact I sowed 2 more recently, small and crunchy.

1 Like

Agree that it might be about climate or something else. I also love China Jade. My cukes have had a nice crisp interior with a thin skin. They are my fav cucumbers!

1 Like

I like Pepinex from Territorial seeds and Chelsea Prize from Reneeā€™s seeds (both English type). Also Suyo Long. And mini-white for quick/early production.

I sowed my second crop before I left and now I have more cucumbers. So pleased.