Cummins Big Sale on Rootstock

I tried and failed to upload the Cummins notice I got today about discounts on rootstock and a few trees. Thousands of rootstocks- so go to cumminsnursery.com, go to inventory and use this code for discount: ROOTS40 (edited).

2 Likes

Actually, Rootstocks are 40% off now. They were 35% off before this.

I’m trying hard to not buy a bunch more G41.

Code is ROOTS40 and each variety must be a separate order. Here is the link to the Advert:

http://mailchi.mp/cumminsnursery/50-off-mystery-trees-35-off-rootstocks-spring-sale

Thanks.

anybody ever role the dice on one of their mystery apple trees?

I have not. I have seriously considered a single mystery (known rootstock) but I don’t have the stomach for a double mystery anymore. (unknown scion and unknown rootstock) I’d rather spend the money on a known rootstock and get going with it than taking years to figure out what was going on with a tree.

Any good apples on that list I can turn to cordons? I’m going to research a bit today but have a plan to put down about 8 of them on my property.

25% off trees, they have some big numbers just released.

I just purchased two plum trees (Castleton and Rosy Gage) and 3 G41 rootstocks. Thanks for the heads up on the sale.

I took advantage of Cummins’s current season-end sales. I picked up (they are 20 minutes away) a Satsuma last week, and tomorrow I pick up a Goldrush and Zabergau. Now at 35% off. What they mostly have left in large numbers are rootstocks (G.11, G.935, G.214, and Marianna GF8-1). Kingston Black didn’t sell as well as they expected. Over 200 KB still left.

In your 5a zone, I would be worried about Gold Rush not ripening in time. I am in zone 6a and so far, my GR were not quite ripe by the time 21-22 F arrived.

1 Like

Yup, i made the same mistake. I put one in on b118, and grafted 3 gold rush scions on b118. Im in zone 5b, so i pulled the 3 grafts and probably gonna graft over the remaining one. Any recommendations with a similar flavor profile? Is ginger gold doable?

For appes, someone like @alan or @scottfsmith are very well qualified to give your recommendation. I only fruited about 10 varieties from my trees. So far I like Hoople’s Antique Gold but it is different from GR.

1 Like

Last year had an unusually late spring, so many late varieties either didn’t ripen or just weren’t very good. All the grey days here were also a factor.

I recommend Esopus Spitzenburg. Just about my favorite heirloom and ripens a couple weeks ahead of GR. Your climate is probably a lot like where it comes from in Esopus NY. However, it doesn’t keep like Goldrush and by mid-winter loses its snap for me. It gets as high brix as a ripe Goldrush- can get up to 20 if we get a bit of drought in late summer going into fall.

Ginger Gold is more an early Golden Delicious, but a very nice summer apple. I’ve actually grown fond of early strain Yellow Delicious. I have one that gets completely russetted some years.

3 Likes

I hesitated for several years for that reason, but several orchards around here grow it successfully, and I was encouraged by a cider-making friend who grows it to give it a try. One of its merits is supposed to be an ability to hold up to Minnesota Novembers without freezing, so we will see. I’m up to 80 varieties of apples, including some old Southern classics, so I am already taking some risks.
Thanks for looking out for me, manuang. I appreciate it.

I have two, and both should be full of blossoms for the first time this year.

@Lodidian,
That’s what we are here for, helping newer members avoid making the same mistakes we made. I singlehandedly have made quite a lot of them :smile:

3 Likes

You should be fine with Ginger Gold, it’s doing well for me in zone 4a.

1 Like

I’m testing an earlier apple supposedly similar to Goldrush called Crunch-a-bunch (silly name). Unfortunately, pine voles helped themselves to most of the root system this winter, so, although it will likely survive, I will be waiting quite a while to taste it- it was a tooth-pic when it arrived in the mail. .

You are likely growing your varieties in dawn to dusk sun like most commercial growers. Home growers often don’t have it so lucky. Shade retards ripening considerably. Vigorous rootstocks (self shading trees) also lead to later ripening fruit than dwarfing ones.

My Goldrush trees are in good sun, but trees block it in early morning and late afternoon. Goldrush trees I manage in rolling hills without any shade ripen earlier- only a few days, but in short seasons it makes a big difference.

I am blessed with sun and acreage – says I on a drearily clouded day

1 Like

A blessing and a curse. My 3 acres has me a slave to it when I’m not a slave to other orchards. I just have to tell myself when I’m working on my own trees and gardens it’s rest and relaxation.