Curled Fig Tree Leaves

Hello. I have a brown turkey fig tree that I want to keep in a pot and the leaves are curled up with some brown dots along the edges underneath. Not sure what is happening and would appreciate any insights! Thank you!

Hi Annie, I’ve had trees that do that before. Usually healthy vigorous ones, so you are doing a good job with it. It just means it is using a lot of water, the brown spots are a mild sunburn that doesn’t really hurt, just that the undersides of the leaves are not used to light. If you can, water it mid-day and see if that helps.

2 Likes

Some varieties tend to have leaves that curl too. My GM155 trees always have leaves cupped upwards from year to year. I agree that the tree looks fine.

1 Like

Root damage, or not enough water can do it. Other things, high temps, no acclimation to full sun. It’s usually an indication of stress. hard at times to tell exactly what, or how serious? Most times they recover, keep an eye on it.

2 Likes

Perhaps the roots are drying too much between watering? When I see cupping(canoeing), it is usually drought or high pH. Many plant will ‘reach for the sky’ with their leaves if they are perfectly happy, but cupping is usually a sign that something is not optimal. It also looks like you have some dark coloration on the bottom of the fig, which happens to some fruits when they go from wet to dry too much. It can certainly cause it in tomatoes. A larger pot might help.

Thanks for the advice. Is it okay to transplant the fig tree to a bigger pot? The weather here in Vancouver is getting a bit hotter but not to bad.
Thanks again!!

1 Like

I love Vancouver! I normally visit once or twice a year. Unfortunately this year I was forced to skip it.

1 Like

You would want to put in in a very similar medium to the one it is in, or you will have issues keeping it uniformly moist. Also you would want to take great care not to damage the roots too much. It can be done, but I would put it in the shade for 5 days afterward. Root stress and direct sun are a bad combo.

1 Like

This is something I don’t do. I make sure they are not circling. I’m still transplanting them
I want as much of the old soil off of them as possible. I don’t remove it all, maybe 80%. I agree to protect for a bit after transfer. Fig roots are super tough on established plants.
I usually damage or cut a bunch of the roots. Not one has ever failed. I have learned not to do this with air layers, but the next up pot one needs to really stop the circling. It’s super bad on air layers.

1 Like