Currant and gooseberry cutting vendors

I am looking for vendors of currant and gooseberry cuttings. I know about Fruitwood.com. Are there any others?

2 Likes

Are you looking for just a few of each? I’d check the primarily berries section here

I know Whitmann Farms has a lot not posted on her website if you call/email and ask.

2 Likes

Brambleberry Farm should be offering some soon. I have not ordered for mail delivery from them, but I have personally visited their permaculture nursery and was very impressed with the personal service and plants that I got. (Note: they only ship scion wood and cuttings.)

4 Likes

A lot of currants and gooseberries at the Corvallis repository are listed in the USDA GRIN system. A note says: “Requests accepted Sept through Dec 31; Shipping season: January.” Probably won’t ship R. nigrum to MA, though; don’t know about other ribes.

2 Likes

if you only need a few put a want list in the trading thread. . many of us have a good amount of different cultivars that we can share.

2 Likes

@steveb4 Problem is the stupid law in Massachusetts that requires that a permit be acquired by the seller in order to ship to Massachusetts. I doubt that any person would be willing to go to that trouble, but I may be wrong. For all I know it might be simple to get the permit.
It is not even OK for someone within Massachusetts to send, without a permit, cuttings to someone in Massachusetts in a town where growing gooseberries and currants is allowed.

3 Likes

Have you looked at Nourse Farms in Deerfield? They only sell bushes, but you can take all the cuttings you need once you have your first bush of each variety.

1 Like

i dont think Nourse sells Ribes to banned/ regulated states. many nurseries on the east coast wont.

@steveb4 Nourse does sell to cities within Massachusetts that do not require a permit. I have bought Ribes from them. (I live in Mass)

3 Likes

Indiana berry has some varieties, as well as Hartmanns plant company

@JeremiahT I looked at the GRIN system but did not see any listed with common names (E.g., Pixwell, etc.)

Indiana Berry, Nourse and Hartmanns sell plants only, not cuttings.

they must have changed their policies from 4-5 years ago. they didnt back then. used to have a disclaimer at the top of their Ribes page.

1 Like