Here is a list of mail-order fruit nurseries in the US. It is missing a few places with low reputations. Garden Watchdog is a good place to check out a nursery you have not heard of.
39th Parallel Nursery - A small nursery in KS focused on disease resistant & rare varieties.
Adams County Nursery - a large commercial fruit nursery in PA selling quality stock
Arboreum Company - specializing in unusual heirloom fruits
Bay Flora - primarily tropical fruits
Bay Laurel Nursery - a Dave Wilson retailer
Big Horse Creek Farm - a wide range of southern heirloom (and other) apples
Bottoms Nursery - specializing in muscadines and southern blueberries, but also selling many other kinds of fruit.
Boyer Nurseries - PA nursery offering the standard fruits; large peach and apple selections.
Brandt’s Fruit Trees - a large primarily wholesale nursery in Washington.
Burnt Ridge Nursery - carries a wide range of fruits
C&O Nursery - a large primarily wholesale nursery in Washington.
Century Farm Orchards - a family-run old southern apples nursery.
Cloud Mountain Farm - a selection of tree fruits, vines, and nuts for the pacific northwest.
CopenHaven Farms - a wholesale nursery in Oregon, sells rootstock and seedlings.
Cricket Hill Garden - A nice selection of low-maintenance fruits as well as some apples etc. Based in CT, primarily sells peonies.
Cummins Nursery - A unique NY nursery selling many unusual fruit varieties
Cumberland Valley Nurseries - only a Facebook page now; their retail website fruittreefarm.com closed and they are wholesale only now. See cvn.pdf (2.7 MB)
for a scan of the 2016-2017 paper catalog (thanks Matt!) 2019-2020 CVN Price list 2019 2020 CVN Price List.pdf (3.8 MB)
Dave Wilson - wholesale only; order retail via Bay Laurel, Peaceful Valley, or Sanhedrin
Double A Vineyards - primarily grapes
Edible Landscaping - a very wide variety of common and uncommon fruits. Potted plants only.
England’s Orchard - easier to grow fruits: persimmons, mulberries and pawpaws, as well as nuts.
Fedco - cold-hardy fruits
Grandpa’s Orchard - A retail outlet of a large wholesale nursery, Moser. A good collection of standard commercial varieties.
Green Sea Farm - pomegranates in many varieties
Harvest Nursery - A relatively new nursery with a wide selection of both standard and unusual fruits nuts and berries. Potted plants.
Hidden Springs Nursery - a small nursery specializing in low-care fruits
Illinois Paradise Farm & Plant Nursery - Bare root fruit trees
Ison’s - one of the best sources for muscadines; also other fruits
Just Fruit and Exotics - specializing in southeastern low-input fruits such as persimmons, etc.
Kuffel Creek Apple Nursery - our own Applenut sells bench-grafted apples
Legg Creek Farm - specializing in southern (east Texas) fruit trees. Shipping can be high for further destinations.
Maple Valley - back in business for 2017.
Mehrabyan Nursery - a new nursery in Ithaca, NY
Novavine - grapes
Oikos Tree Crops - seedling trees
One Green World - selling a wide array of common and uncommon fruits
Peaceful Heritage Permaculture Fruit Nursery - a new nursery in KY with a broad selection
Peaceful Valley Farm Supply - a retailer of Dave Wilson trees.
Perfect Circle Farm - Mainly nuts but also apples, plums etc and some scionwood.
Plants for Everyone - North Carolina pickup only but very good prices!
Rabbit Ridge Nursery - a small nursery in NC
Raintree Nursery - one of the bigger retail mail-order nurseries selling a very wide selection of fruits.
Restoring Eden - A new Nursery in Seattle with a broad selection of plants good in the pacific northwest.
Rolling River Nursery - a western nursery selling potted plants
Santa Cruz Olive Tree Nursery - olives, minimum order 20 trees.
Schlabach’s Nursery - No website; write or call for catalog. 2784 Murdock Rd, Medina NY 14103. (585)798-6198; catalog requests only to (866) 600-5203.
Southmeadow Fruit Gardens - the original heirloom nursery in the US. Unfortunately they are no longer a reliable source but their catalog is a classic reference of variety descriptions for heirloom fruit enthusiasts – scan of their catalog (57MB!)
St. Lawrence Nurseries - the original owners retired in 2016 and it is being taken over by an employee.
Stark Bros - One of the oldest commercial nurseries in the US and still one of the biggest mail-order outfits today.
Three Creek Orchards - A newer heritage apple orchard in Alabama, good selection for southern growers.
Turkey Creek Trees - one of our own members, specializing in disease resistant apples and pears plus a few peach/plum/cherry/cot.
Trees of Antiquity - specializing in heirloom fruits
Twisted Tree Farm - a small nursery with low-maintenance fruit run by GF member Chestnut.
Van Well Nursery Inc. - a large commercial WA nursery with some retail sales.
Vaughn Nursery - extensive peach varieties plus other common fruits
Vintage Virginia Apples - specializing in heirloom apples.
Wafler Nursery - a family-run NY nursery selling apples and pears.
Wallace Woodstock - A Wisconsin nursery good for cold-climate fruits.
White Oak Nursery - No website; write or call to request catalog. 2515 White Oak Rd. Strasburg, PA 17579. (717) 687-8884
Winter Cove Farm - hardy fruit trees from a Maine nursery.
Womack Nursery - a Texas nursery with a wide selection of pecans and low-chill fruits.
- Bass Pecan Nursery - pecans
- Chestnut Hill Tree Farm - dunstan chestnuts
- Nolin River Nut Nursery
- Plant Me Green - primary pecans but also a few other common fruits and berries.
- Grimo Nut Nursery - in Ontario but ships to US
- Red Fern Farm - Chestnuts and heartnuts, but also American persimmons, pawpaws, and some scionwood.
- Rock Bridge Trees - a large selection of pecans plus a few other things.
- Finch Blueberry Nursery - large selection of blueberries
- Hartmann’s Plant Co. - specializing in blueberries
- Honeyberry USA - berries, bush cherries, etc.
- Indiana Berry - one of the biggest berry sources.
- Nourse Farms - excellent quality berries.
- Ouichita Blueberry Nursery - primarily blueberries
- Simmons Plant Farm
- Pense Nursery - all kinds of berries plus kiwis etc; mixed reviews
- Whitman Farms - great for currants/gooseberry and mulberry, also some kiwis and nuts.
- Four Winds Growers - citrus
- Going Bananas - bananas
- McKenzie Farms - primarily hardy citrus
- Plant O Gram
- Top Tropicals
- Pine Island Nursery - extensive catalog but no online ordering
- Corn Hill Nursery
- Hardy Fruit Tree Nursery
- Jeffries Nurseries
- Nut Cracker Nursery
- Pépinière Ancestrale
- Pépinière Rochon
- Silver Creek Nursery
- Whiffle Tree Farm
- Grimo Nut Nursery
- Prairie Tech Propagation
- T&T Seeds
- Summerland Varieties (scions)
- Derrys orchard and nursery
- Saltspring apple company
- Summergreen farm
- Upper canada growers
Canadian nurseries of concern (google for reviews - users have had less than positive experiences)
- Green Barn Nursery (problems with mislabeled plants and plants shipped dried out and dead)
- Saskatoon Farm (bare root plants shipped by Greyhound without any moist media so arrived dried out and dead)
Who specializes in what?
This list needs improving! Go for it!
- Apple: Big Horse Creek Farm, Century Farms Orchard, Cummins, Trees of Antiquity, Vintage Virginia Apples, St. Lawrence Nurseries, Fedco, Adams County, Raintree, White Oak Nursery, Boyer Nurseries,
- Cider apple: Cummins, Vintage Virginia Apples,
- Peach: Adams County, Cumberland Valley Nursery, Dave Wilson, Boyer, Grampa’s Orchard, Trees of Antiquity, Arboreum, Vaughn Nursery
- Apricot: Dave Wilson, Adams County, Raintree, Arboreum
- Pear, Euro: Cummins, Trees of Antiquity, Adams County, Dave Wilson, Raintree, St. Lawrence Nurseries
- Pear, Asian: Dave Wilson, One Green World, Raintree, Adams County, Arboreum
- Plum, Euro: Trees of Antiquity, Dave Wilson, Raintree, Arboreum, Cummins
- Plum, Japanese: Dave Wilson, Trees of Antiquity, Adams County, Raintree
- Cherry: Cummins, Raintree, Adams County, Dave Wilson, Trees of Antiquity, C&O, Boyer Nurseries
- Quince: Hidden Springs Nursery, Raintree, Trees of Antiquity, One Green World
- Medlar: Hidden Springs, Raintree, One Green World
- Kiwi: Tripple Brook Farms, One Green World, Whitman Farms, Raintree
- Grape: Double A Vineyards, Raintree, Dave Wilson, Trees of Antiquity, Burnt Ridge, Lon Rombough Family (cuttings only)
- Muscadine Grape: Isons, Just Fruits
- Mayhaw: Englands, Just Fruits and Exotics, Hidden Springs
- Pawpaw: Edible Landscaping, England’s Orchard, One Green World, Hidden Springs, Nolin River, Raintree, Burnt Ridge
- Fig: Dave Wilson, Raintree, Edible Landscaping, Trees of Joy, Trees of Antiquity
- Pomegranate: Rolling River, Just Fruits, Dave Wilson, Green Sea Farm
- Mulberry: Englands, Just Fruits, Raintree, Dave Wilson, Whitman Farms
- Feijoa: One Green World, Just Fruits
- Jujube: England’s, Hidden Springs, Raintree, Just Fruits, One Green World
- Persimmon: Dave Wilson, Edible Landscaping, England’s, Just Fruits and Exotics, Trees of Antiquity
- Currant and Gooseberry: Whitman Farms, Raintree, Burnt Ridge, Edible Landscaping
- Blueberry: Burnt Ridge, Raintree, Hartmann’s, Indiana Berry, Dave Wilson, Cloud Mountain Farm, Isons
- Raspberry and Blackberry: Indiana Berry, Nourse Farms, Double A, Boyer
- Strawberry: Indiana Berry, Nourse Farms
- Nut: Bass Pecan, England’s, Grimo, Nolin River, Womack’s
- Cold hardy plant: St. Lawrence Nurseries, Fedco, Wallace Woodstock
- Southeast climate fruit: Isons, Just Fruits and Exotics, Edible Landscaping, Hidden Springs, Plant Me Green
- Western climate fruit: Dave Wilson nurseries, Kuffel Creek, One Green World, Rolling River, Raintree
- Rootstock: Burnt Ridge, Raintree, Cummins, Fruitwood Nursery, Century Farm, One Green World, Grampas Orchard, Fedco, CopenHaven Farms (per 25+/50+), Meadow Lake Nursery (per 50+), Williamette Nurseries (per 50+)
- Tropical fruits: Bay Flora, Rolling Ridge, (more)