Here is a list of mail-order fruit nurseries in the US. It is missing a few places with low reputations. Garden Watchdog is a good place to check out a nursery you have not heard of.
39th Parallel Nursery - A small nursery in KS focused on disease resistant & rare varieties.
Adams County Nursery - a large commercial fruit nursery in PA selling quality stock
Arboreum Company - specializing in unusual heirloom fruits
Bay Flora - primarily tropical fruits
Bay Laurel Nursery - a Dave Wilson retailer
Big Horse Creek Farm - a wide range of southern heirloom (and other) apples
Bottoms Nursery - specializing in muscadines and southern blueberries, but also selling many other kinds of fruit.
Boyer Nurseries - PA nursery offering the standard fruits; large peach and apple selections.
Brandt’s Fruit Trees - a large primarily wholesale nursery in Washington.
Burnt Ridge Nursery - carries a wide range of fruits
C&O Nursery - a large primarily wholesale nursery in Washington.
Century Farm Orchards - a family-run old southern apples nursery.
Cloud Mountain Farm - a selection of tree fruits, vines, and nuts for the pacific northwest.
CopenHaven Farms - a wholesale nursery in Oregon, sells rootstock and seedlings.
Countryside Farm and Nurseries- A small business in Virginia; they carry apples (wide selection), pears, peaches, cherries and other fruit trees. They mainly do custom (bench) grafting by request, but they also sell leftovers.
Cricket Hill Garden - A nice selection of low-maintenance fruits as well as some apples etc. Based in CT, primarily sells peonies.
Cummins Nursery - A unique NY nursery selling many unusual fruit varieties
Cumberland Valley Nurseries - only a Facebook page now; their retail website fruittreefarm.com closed and they are wholesale only now. See cvn.pdf (2.7 MB)
for a scan of the 2016-2017 paper catalog (thanks Matt!) 2019-2020 CVN Price list 2019 2020 CVN Price List.pdf (3.8 MB)
Dave Wilson - wholesale only; order retail via Bay Laurel, Peaceful Valley, or Sanhedrin
Double A Vineyards - primarily grapes
Edible Landscaping - a very wide variety of common and uncommon fruits. Potted plants only.
England’s Orchard - easier to grow fruits: persimmons, mulberries and pawpaws, as well as nuts.
Fedco - cold-hardy fruits
Grandpa’s Orchard - A retail outlet of a large wholesale nursery, Moser. A good collection of standard commercial varieties.
Harvest Nursery - A relatively new nursery with a wide selection of both standard and unusual fruits nuts and berries. Potted plants.
Hidden Springs Nursery - a small nursery specializing in low-care fruits
Ison’s - one of the best sources for muscadines; also other fruits
Just Fruit and Exotics - specializing in southeastern low-input fruits such as persimmons, etc.
Kuffel Creek Apple Nursery - our own Applenut sells bench-grafted apples
Legg Creek Farm - specializing in southern (east Texas) fruit trees. Shipping can be high for further destinations.
Mad Cat Farm - scionwood of apples, pears, quince, persimmons, peaches, cherries, mulberries, etc.
Maple Valley - back in business for 2017.
Mehrabyan Nursery - a new nursery in Ithaca, NY
Novavine - grapes
Oikos Tree Crops - seedling trees
One Green World - selling a wide array of common and uncommon fruits
Peaceful Heritage Permaculture Fruit Nursery - a new nursery in KY with a broad selection
Peaceful Valley Farm Supply - a retailer of Dave Wilson trees.
Perfect Circle Farm - Mainly nuts but also apples, plums etc and some scionwood.
Plants for Everyone - North Carolina pickup only but very good prices!
Raintree Nursery - one of the bigger retail mail-order nurseries selling a very wide selection of fruits, for nosebleed prices these days.
Restoring Eden - A new Nursery in Seattle with a broad selection of plants good in the pacific northwest.
Rolling River Nursery - a western nursery selling potted plants
Santa Cruz Olive Tree Nursery - olives, minimum order 20 trees.
Schlabach’s Nursery - No website; write or call for catalog. 2784 Murdock Rd, Medina NY 14103. (585)798-6198; catalog requests only to (866) 600-5203.
Southmeadow Fruit Gardens - the original heirloom nursery in the US. Unfortunately they are no longer a reliable source but their catalog is a classic reference of variety descriptions for heirloom fruit enthusiasts – scan of their catalog (57MB!)
St. Lawrence Nurseries - the original owners retired in 2016 and it is being taken over by an employee.
Stark Bros - One of the oldest commercial nurseries in the US and still one of the biggest mail-order outfits today.
Three Creek Orchards - A newer heritage apple orchard in Alabama, good selection for southern growers.
Trees of Antiquity - specializing in heirloom fruits
Trees of Joy - specializing in figs, but also jujubes mulberries pawpaws pomegranates etc.
Turkey Creek Trees - one of our own members, specializing in disease resistant apples and pears plus a few peach/plum/cherry/cot.
Twisted Tree Farm - a small nursery with low-maintenance fruit run by GF member Chestnut.
Van Well Nursery Inc. - a large commercial WA nursery with some retail sales.
Vaughn Nursery - extensive peach varieties plus other common fruits
Vintage Virginia Apples - specializing in heirloom apples.
Wafler Nursery - a family-run NY nursery selling apples and pears.
Wallace Woodstock - A Wisconsin nursery good for cold-climate fruits.
White Oak Nursery - No website; write or call to request catalog. 2515 White Oak Rd. Strasburg, PA 17579. (717) 687-8884
Winter Cove Farm - hardy fruit trees from a Maine nursery.
Womack Nursery - a Texas nursery with a wide selection of pecans and low-chill fruits.
- Bass Pecan Nursery - pecans
- Chestnut Hill Tree Farm - dunstan chestnuts
- Nolin River Nut Nursery
- Plant Me Green - primary pecans but also a few other common fruits and berries.
- Grimo Nut Nursery - in Ontario but ships to US
- Red Fern Farm - Chestnuts and heartnuts, but also American persimmons, pawpaws, and some scionwood.
- Rock Bridge Trees - a large selection of pecans plus a few other things.
- Finch Blueberry Nursery - large selection of blueberries
- Hartmann’s Plant Co. - specializing in blueberries
- Honeyberry USA - berries, bush cherries, etc.
- Indiana Berry - one of the biggest berry sources.
- Nourse Farms - excellent quality berries.
- Ouichita Blueberry Nursery - primarily blueberries
- Simmons Plant Farm
- Pense Nursery - all kinds of berries plus kiwis etc; mixed reviews
- Whitman Farms - great for currants/gooseberry and mulberry, also some kiwis and nuts.
- Four Winds Growers - citrus
- Going Bananas - bananas
- McKenzie Farms - primarily hardy citrus
- Plant O Gram
- Top Tropicals
- Pine Island Nursery - extensive catalog but no online ordering
- Apple Luscious
- Corn Hill Nursery
- Hardy Fruit Tree Nursery
- Jardin Jasmin
- Jeffries Nurseries
- Nut Cracker Nursery
- Pépinière Ancestrale
- Pépinière Rochon
- Pépinière Abbotsford
- Silver Creek Nursery
- Whiffle Tree Farm
- Grimo Nut Nursery
- Prairie Tech Propagation
- T&T Seeds
- Summerland Varieties (scions)
- Derrys orchard and nursery
- Saltspring apple company
- Summergreen farm
- Upper canada growers
- Green Barn Nursery (problems with mislabeled plants and plants shipped dried out and dead)
- Saskatoon Farm (bare root plants shipped by Greyhound without any moist media so arrived dried out and dead)
This list needs improving! Go for it!
- Apple: 39th Parallel, Big Horse Creek Farm, Century Farms Orchard, Cummins, Trees of Antiquity, Vintage Virginia Apples, St. Lawrence Nurseries, Fedco, Adams County, Raintree, White Oak Nursery, Boyer Nurseries, Countryside Farm and Nurseries.
- Cider apple: Cummins, Vintage Virginia Apples, Fedco
- Peach: Adams County, Cumberland Valley Nursery, Dave Wilson, Boyer, Grampa’s Orchard, Trees of Antiquity, Arboreum, Vaughn Nursery
- Apricot: Dave Wilson, Adams County, Raintree, Arboreum
- Pear, Euro: Cummins, Trees of Antiquity, Adams County, Dave Wilson, Raintree, St. Lawrence Nurseries
- Pear, Asian: Dave Wilson, One Green World, Raintree, Adams County, Arboreum
- Plum, Euro: Trees of Antiquity, Dave Wilson, Raintree, Arboreum, Cummins
- Plum, Japanese: Dave Wilson, Trees of Antiquity, Adams County, Raintree
- Cherry: Cummins, Raintree, Adams County, Dave Wilson, Trees of Antiquity, C&O, Boyer Nurseries
- Quince: Hidden Springs Nursery, Raintree, Trees of Antiquity, One Green World, Fruitwood (cuttings)
- Medlar: Hidden Springs, Raintree, One Green World
- Kiwi: Tripple Brook Farms, One Green World, Whitman Farms, Raintree
- Grape: Double A Vineyards, Raintree, Dave Wilson, Trees of Antiquity, Burnt Ridge, Lon Rombough Family (cuttings only)
- Muscadine Grape: Isons, Just Fruits
- Mayhaw: Englands, Just Fruits and Exotics, Hidden Springs
- Pawpaw: Edible Landscaping, England’s Orchard, One Green World, Hidden Springs, Nolin River, Raintree, Burnt Ridge
- Fig: Dave Wilson, Raintree, Edible Landscaping, Trees of Joy, Trees of Antiquity
- Pomegranate: Rolling River, Just Fruits, Dave Wilson, Green Sea Farm
- Mulberry: Englands, Just Fruits, Raintree, Dave Wilson, Whitman Farms
- Feijoa: One Green World, Just Fruits
- Jujube: England’s, Hidden Springs, Raintree, Just Fruits, One Green World, 39th Parallel (rootstock), Fruitwood (scions)
- Persimmon: Dave Wilson, Edible Landscaping, England’s, Just Fruits and Exotics, Trees of Antiquity, Fruitwood (scions)
- Currant and Gooseberry: Whitman Farms, Raintree, Burnt Ridge, Edible Landscaping, Fruitwood
- Blueberry: Burnt Ridge, Raintree, Hartmann’s, Indiana Berry, Dave Wilson, Cloud Mountain Farm, Isons
- Honeyberry: Floramaxx, Honeyberry USA
- Raspberry and Blackberry: Indiana Berry, Nourse Farms, Double A, Boyer
- Strawberry: Indiana Berry, Nourse Farms
- Nut: Bass Pecan, England’s, Grimo, Nolin River, Womack’s
- Cold hardy plant: St. Lawrence Nurseries, Fedco, Wallace Woodstock
- Southeast climate fruit: Isons, Just Fruits and Exotics, Edible Landscaping, Hidden Springs, Plant Me Green
- Western climate fruit: Dave Wilson nurseries, Kuffel Creek, One Green World, Rolling River, Raintree
- Rootstock: Burnt Ridge, Raintree, Cummins, Fruitwood Nursery, Century Farm, One Green World, Grampas Orchard, Fedco, CopenHaven Farms (per 25+/50+), Meadow Lake Nursery (per 50+), Williamette Nurseries (per 50+), 39th parallel
- Tropical fruits: Bay Flora, Rolling Ridge, (more)