Willis Orchard Co

I believe most of us would agree with you.

Where can we find a list of reputable on-line nurseries though?

Thanks

2 Likes

There is a very good list of sellers here on growing fruit in the reference section. Look back in this thread and its linked.

2 Likes

Garden watchdog is a great place to check on places youve never ordered before.

https://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/

I will say that nearly every time i find a nice new small nursery operation they are often reasonably priced and have stellar user reviews on daves garden, whereas lots of times the big companies and massive corporate opertions have loads of bad reviews. Not always the case but I encounter it enough it seems

2 Likes

I checked on the Dave’s Garden Link for G.Madewell Nursery didn’t get any hits.

What’s everyone’s thoughts?

https://gmadewellnursery.com

Thanks

1 Like

PS about Tyty. I wanted to remove a tree and add another to an order I just made with my store credit for a winter delivery.

Their phone number, no matter when you call, says it is after hours. You can’t leave a message.

I emailed the change request.

Let’s see what happens. And of course I have to wait to see if they even ship the items next year.

2 Likes

I gotta say that i think i have ordered from more nurseries than most on here…even Ebay/Etsy/ Marketplace and also Amazon even Walmart…as well as privately dealing with many many folks that i dont really even know on Facebook…not to mention overseas.

In all the money that i have spent and all the folks i have dealt with… i think i can say that the only folks that have ripped me off were Willis and TyTy… They sell some things that nobody else does and i knew going in that it was a risk. But yes they both flat out ripped me off.

I am super happy with my cheap trees from Cumberland Valley Nursery and Vaughn… even though a few folks on here dont like cheap trees… Get a catalog from them for sure

Here is your list:

This is a good thread

1 Like

SpudDaddy says he got ripped off.

1 review on the BBB and they seem pretty upset…they got ripped off.

https://www.bbb.org/us/tn/rock-island/profile/lawn-and-garden/g-madewell-nursery-0573-37210298

2 Likes

Avoid G Madewell Nursery. Ordered a peach got some unknown plant. When I called, they refused to do anything unless I shipped the original plant back. Wasn’t worth it.

2 Likes

Well I have an order in with G.Madewell Nursery. I reckon it’ll be here sometime in October. I perhaps should have checked here first :roll_eyes:. But look at it this way, you all will get to see pictures of what I receive when I receive them. And also be the first to know of any interactions I have with G. Madewell Nursery.

Thanks for taking time to reply :+1:

3 Likes

No nursery is perfect. Members here have taken time to warn other members of their bad experience about nurseries that have far more negative reviews that positive ones.

You have been fortunate with Willis Orchard. Good for you. A lot more people were not.

2 Likes

Years ago I bought quite a few grape vines from Willis without issue, but it’s been 10+ years and I think grape vines are perhaps more durable for shipping than bare root trees.

2 Likes

My first every rootstock and scionwood purchase was from Fedco. Came USPS in a long box. The mail.lady handed me the box with root stock tips sticking out of one of the corners. The box looked like a few gorilla were playing with it. As she handed me the box, the tips caught her window and several snapped. It didn’t matter none though, since the tops were pruned off anyways. So I never called Fedco to let them.know. I could have refused the gorilla stomped packed though, but I didn’t do that either.

Another order of bareroot trees got delayed 3 times in Memphis UPS hub. What should have been 2 day late spring delivery, turned into 7 days. I could just imagine that box sitting in the back of a trailer, getting cooked.

But when our local UPS driver delivered them, he said fruit trees?, I said yep, he said let’s look at them? He waited while I opened the box. They were OK, still green whips. If they would not have been OK I know he would have helped me return them. Because he’s a good guy, I know him well.

Fact is I’m new to orcharding and I appreciate the vast knowledge and experience here :+1:. But If I think about what goes into getting a tree from ordering online, till it gets here to put in the soil. There’s a lot that could go wrong along the way and I’m sure it does.

Getting the tree you ordered, alive and healthy is the goal. If not, then you really need the company to stand behind their product and work with you on a solution to remedy the issue. By either issuing you a refund or replacement that is true to what you ordered, alive and healthy.

I think that’s what’s important here.

4 Likes

Ordered from shrubs and trees this spring. Did not know new tyty company until after receipt of wrong varieties. Ordered red pakistan mulberry and tropic gold apricot. Received white pakistan and unknown. Definitely not an apricot. The white was very nice and less than half what they sell for in Houston. Gave the unknown to a family member. Ordered the correct varieties from kali nursery.

3 Likes

Dave’s Garden/Garden Watchdog is good, but won’t have ALL nurseries/vendors listed. Many years ago (I’m talking back in the late 1990s to early 2000s), the ‘real’ reviews (not glowing reviews posted by the folks at TyTy) were so overwhelmingly negative (but grounded in truth!) that TyTy threatened legal action against the folks at Dave’s… and they folded, removing all references to TyTy and the chicanery they practice. At one point, there were over 20 ‘named entities’ that TyTy had as fronts… Many were Aaron’s or Patrick’s this-or-that Nursery.

I’m thinking Willis is totally unrelated to TyTy, other than the operator having (I think) cut his teeth as a TyTy employee before venturing out on his own.
There are and have been good quality nurseries in Georgia, and across the Southeast.

1 Like

I tried to change my order for this winter at Tyty online as there is a section for that. My shipping date is shown as January 2024. When I select the button to change the order it says it’s shipped.

Still waiting on an email reply to my request and complaint that you can’t call them at all at the moment.

2 Likes

This type of nursery, once you paid, you cannot reach them.

When I first started, I was confused between Autumn Ridge and with Burnt Ridge. With my luck, I ordered my trees from Autumn Ridge. Bad experience.

Those nurseries with questionable reputation,( some down right awful), they have paid enough to have their names come up on top of most search engine, particular Google. Many new people are fooled that way.

3 Likes

My own experience with Willis has been pretty bad.

Of the brambles I ordered from them, one order was completely dead, but that’s ok because I ordered a thorny, trailing variety and they sent me something thornless and erect, and the other order had one plant die and two live–but they sent me Asian wineberries, not what I ordered, not even close…

For trees, mine arrived desiccated and dull, with barely any signs of life. After several months a few buds broke, but it’s looking like it’s not going to make it. The species appears correct, who knows what variety it is though (given their 0/2 track record, I’m not very confidant).

Customer service is alright, they’ve mostly given me credit for what I ordered. However, They only credit back list price, and their shipping costs are inflated pretty badly, so I only get a portion of what I spent back, and it’s a store credit, so I have to spend more money with them and pay their overpriced shipping again. I suspect this is intentional–they know customers will be unhappy and that they’ll have to give refunds or something, so they keep list prices low and pad the shipping costs so that, even on a store credit order, they’re probably breaking even.

I mean, at least I can admire their creativity. It’s hard to cheat people this effectively.

1 Like

Tyty got back to me and changed out my Black Beauty mulberry to Hood Pear.

Since I’m picking another mulberry from somewhere else and some questioned what “Black Beauty mulberry” really is.

They credited back the difference in the order.

Having said some things about the actual product upon delivery and it’s survival, or not, at least the two folks in customer service I’ve been dealing with this summer have been quite responsive and helpful.

3 Likes

Maybe they have been reading this thread, lol.

1 Like

Anyone still on the fence about the honesty of Willis and TyTy can read from over a decade ago… but both companies are thriving…

2 Likes