Apple (fruit only) pictures from your backyard orchards, please

Nope, you can keep the and the grey squirrels too! We do not have them either!

3 Likes

Alkmene (also called Early Windsor), only one apple on small young tree. Nice size. Very good taste. Could have waited one more week based on seed medium brown.
Edit: a cut piece was on the counter for 48 hrs with no browning .

10 Likes

Wow, I’m so jealous! Beautiful apples!

How did they taste?

I ordered Ashmeads kernel and Rubinette for next year delivery but I’ve never had either of them. Really poor selection of apples in my location. I’m not sure how I could taste any without buying the trees. I went by reviews.

3 Likes

Thank you for doing a tasting and posting the results. I wish I could’ve been one of the judges. I really want to try these different apples. Anyone know where these type of apples are for sale online?

1 Like

Such a pretty red color looks like you hung a bunch of ornaments on your tree.

How do they taste and what is the texture like?

1 Like

Here is the list of nurseries that are reliable. Many of them sell various apple varieties.

2 Likes

I found two Breaky had dropped so I brought them home. I tried the smaller one which had some damage, and it had a very pleasant, balanced tart and sweet flavor. It was crunchy, but not overly so. “Developed at the Canadian Department of Agricultural Research Station in Morden, Manitoba (Canada) from an open-pollinated Blushed Calville. Released in 1935.”

9 Likes

Esopus Spitzenburg

Ashmead’s Kernel

13 Likes

@mrsg47
@mamuang

My ‘burkittsville red’ maybe calville maybe mutt apple is starting to blush a bit, streaky pink right mow. The bagged apples aren’t as ribbed as the non-bagged (my bagged apples are always bigger and fill out more),
Does calville blanc end up with some color on it?

3 Likes

@mamuang Thought you may find this interesting: When Lodi’s get baseball size, you pick 'em. (Pt. 3) #lodi #apples #iowa - YouTube

1 Like

Thanks. The very first one this year was underripe. It was too tart for me. Lodi is not for me. It is a beautiful apple, however.

1 Like

Yes.

2 Likes

Zabergau Reinette. A large apple. Some dropped but those were not fully ripe, judging from the seed color.

@BobVance mine were not completely russeted. No enough sun, I guess.

Do you have yours this year? I’d like to compare pics, please.

10 Likes

As you wish…

I had several drop that seemed mostly ripe. I picked this one today and it had good texture and dark seeds. Mine is only somewhat russeted as well.

From what I read, Zabergau Reinette should get a lot milder in storage. But they already seem pretty good. My oldest apple taster thought it was pretty good, even if it isn’t Honeycrisp…

It is a prolific bearer and sized up the apples even though it was a small tree with too heavy a crop. It is on P2 rootstock and the whole tree is under 6’ tall.

I had to look it up to confirm that this was Zabergau- I don’t really remember too much about it from past years. I think there was a large fruited apple in that general area, but I think the animals may have gotten them in the past.

6 Likes

I got the scionwood from you (thank you). I grafted it in 2021 (I think). I let it fruit this year. The first 3 apples apples fell early. Since yours ripened now. I should wait 7-10 days before picking my last one.

Mine does not have any red streak. The white dots on mine does not look like yours (yours look just like Fedco described.

Thanks for the pic and the comment on taste.

2 Likes

Mine is close enough to ripe, but I may let them hand a few more days and see if they get even sweeter. From what I read, they are often picked in October. I’ll probably pick a few tomorrow and put them in the fridge. Though with only 1 fruit left, you don’t have a lot of flexibility in when to test it.

3 Likes

Here is a pic of whats left of my Reine des Reinettes. I’ve already picked about 20 apples and lost a few to the wind. The weight of the apples bent the branches really well! I will pick the rest of the apples next week. Very little red on them. You can see the damage done by a week of 108 F temperatures. It was a very hot summer here. Finally cooler. I am hoping the the cooler weather will let the apples redden.

10 Likes

picked some apples along the road today. definitely yellow transparent seedling but has a nice rose blush. was sweeter and firmer than a yellow transparent with not a trace of damage or disease on this wild apple. tasted similar to zestar. after i left it and tasted a few apples, i wish i had took some branches of it to chip bud. sorry didnt take a pics.

6 Likes

For the fist time I’m going to have a small Fuji, dance, dance, dance. It’s finally pays off, haha.

1 Like

Is this your first Fuji and it is a small apple?
My Fuji are usually quite large.

1 Like