Apple (fruit only) pictures from your backyard orchards, please

Adams Pearmain

IMG_0753

This is its second year fruiting for us, I think. Only a few apples on the tree, and something got the others, so this was the only one we got to taste. Very early to be picking it, but with only one left on the tree I got a little antsy, especially because the ants were starting to get a little ants-y with it, too. While I definitely would have liked to let it ripen up more, it came off the tree quite readily, and the ant damage turned out to be mostly superficial.

In spite of being picked early, I really enjoyed eating it. It’s a pretty intense little apple. My wife found it to be too tart, our daughter found it to be too sweet (!), and I’d say it’s both, but in a good way. The sweet/sharp zing reminds me a bit of a tangerine, with just a hint of the pear-like thing that people talk about with russets. I’m guessing some of the sharpness would mellow if it were riper. (From what I remember of last year’s, which I picked a bit later, they were more intensely sugary with sharp in the background - more orange than tangerine.) Texture wise, it was hard and crisp, and while it has a reputation for being dry I didn’t find it to be lacking in juice.

Also sampled one of our Hunt Russets, although I didn’t take a picture. Also very early, and also picked because the ants were starting to get at it. (I need to get busy with the diatomaceous earth next year.)

For us, Hunt Russet seems to have a lot of similarities to Adams Pearmain, but with the intensity dialed down a notch, and a bit more of the pear-ishness coming through. The fruit also tend to run a bit bigger, and the tree is more vigorous (also a bit harder to train). Even picked very early, it was quite enjoyable eating, though a bit less of the wow factor.

8 Likes

Racoons!

1 Like

Which apple is bigger? Hunt or Adam’s?

1 Like

It came from a tree in a tight row, but that spot gets sun from dawn until early evening. The apple I photographed was towards the top of a tree. I had a few come from further down and while still dark red, were definitely not as dark as the photo, so I think youre probably right about light exposre.

2 Likes

Hunt tends to be bigger than AP, in my experience.

4 Likes

Don’t have them in This part of France or in France.

1 Like

This is encouraging, I lost 2 of 3 young Adams Pearmain on M.106 this winter with -27.6F temps. I’ve been watching the remaining one trying to decide if I want to remove it or regraft the two I lost. Maybe there’s some hope for them, I’ll have to see how the remaining one does this winter and decide whether to regraft in the spring.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear that! Hope the surviving one makes it. I think it’s a really nice apple. You were smart to put it on a somewhat more vigorous rootstock - it hasn’t been the most vigorous grower for me. (I have it on G41.)

3 Likes

Some of my Stayman (pictured) and Jonathan apples are pushing the limits of a zip-top sandwich bag this year. A few surface issues but no PC or CM damage at least.

9 Likes

You are lucky. We can send you some raccoons if you’d like. We have plenty of them here as you well know. :grinning:

2 Likes

Nope, you can keep the and the grey squirrels too! We do not have them either!

3 Likes

Alkmene (also called Early Windsor), only one apple on small young tree. Nice size. Very good taste. Could have waited one more week based on seed medium brown.
Edit: a cut piece was on the counter for 48 hrs with no browning .

10 Likes

Wow, I’m so jealous! Beautiful apples!

How did they taste?

I ordered Ashmeads kernel and Rubinette for next year delivery but I’ve never had either of them. Really poor selection of apples in my location. I’m not sure how I could taste any without buying the trees. I went by reviews.

3 Likes

Thank you for doing a tasting and posting the results. I wish I could’ve been one of the judges. I really want to try these different apples. Anyone know where these type of apples are for sale online?

1 Like

Such a pretty red color looks like you hung a bunch of ornaments on your tree.

How do they taste and what is the texture like?

1 Like

Here is the list of nurseries that are reliable. Many of them sell various apple varieties.

2 Likes

I found two Breaky had dropped so I brought them home. I tried the smaller one which had some damage, and it had a very pleasant, balanced tart and sweet flavor. It was crunchy, but not overly so. “Developed at the Canadian Department of Agricultural Research Station in Morden, Manitoba (Canada) from an open-pollinated Blushed Calville. Released in 1935.”

9 Likes

Esopus Spitzenburg

Ashmead’s Kernel

13 Likes

@mrsg47
@mamuang

My ‘burkittsville red’ maybe calville maybe mutt apple is starting to blush a bit, streaky pink right mow. The bagged apples aren’t as ribbed as the non-bagged (my bagged apples are always bigger and fill out more),
Does calville blanc end up with some color on it?

3 Likes

@mamuang Thought you may find this interesting: When Lodi’s get baseball size, you pick 'em. (Pt. 3) #lodi #apples #iowa - YouTube

1 Like