Apple (fruit only) pictures from your backyard orchards, please

Agree with your (and your horses) assessment. Mine were in shade. Not enough sun could be the reason why the fruit were mostly white, I guess.

3 Likes

Love the ribbed appearance of Calville. My red delicious always has prominent base ribs but usually not continued to the top of the apple. These are the dropped red delicious I brought inside.

The medium sized apple has more of that ribbed look than I usually see. especially compared to the top of the other two.

8 Likes

When does red delicious ripen for you?

1 Like

Your Red Delicious, the ribbed ones, should be called Calville Rouge :smile:

5 Likes

Are those really Red Delicious? Or are the the old Hawkeye variety- the original Red Delicious? They look nice.

3 Likes

Showing some Williamā€™s Pride pride. One of the first apples harvested from my property, not just this year but ever. The apple above was protected by an organza bag (controlled pollination with Sugarwood), which also did a nice job of keeping the plum curculios off. The unbagged fruit growing nearby got tagged by them, edible but not ss pretty.

9 Likes

I have 7 apple trees planted nowā€¦ well one of those (Novamac on B9) is growing in a big planter tub (half whisky barrell).

2 are new trees i grafted last spring and planted at our future new home siteā€¦ novamac and early mc on m7. They grew nicely this year.

My little novamac on b9 bloomed and set lots of fruit (yr 2)ā€¦ it is trained espellarā€¦ i let it keep 6 applesā€¦ but it dropped all 6 in june. Guess it was not ready yet.

My gold rush set a dozen fruit (yr 3)ā€¦ but like last yearā€¦ most of those have rotted or fallen off. There is one decent apple still hanging on.
This one tries to fruitā€¦ but looks to me like it is just not cut out for my heat and humidity and CAR.

I summer pruned my Akane and Hudsen golden gen last summerā€¦ and this springā€¦ still no blossoms. This past week i summer pruned them againā€¦ and noticed several fruit spurs developed this year. I have hope for next year now.

My 20+ year old Early Mcintoshā€¦ produced some nice (smaller than usual) apples this year.
These were picked on June 23. Probably should have thinned more.

They make the best fried apples ever.

9 Likes

There is a Calville Rouge!

1 Like

I tried one and it was pretty good already, but Iā€™m thinking mid September. These three are not representative of what most of the apples look like. The others are classic red delicious shape. Already very tall and large, ribbed on the bottom, broader and rounder at the top.

I do have a Hawkeye graft on this tree, as well as quite a few others. No other fruit except gold rush.

Iā€™ll look closer at the other fruit shapes.

6 Likes

I found it :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

nice bloom on it. looking forward to getting some here. love a dark red apple with a bloom. some apple growers say a bloom somewhat protects the apple from fungal attack. anyone else ever see/ hear that?

4 Likes

Pretty apple. I did not realize they got so dark red.

4 Likes

My Waltana Apple has developed the most red Iā€™ve seen from it in the last three or four years. Iā€™ve had problems with this tree dropping fruit before it ripens. Iā€™m really hoping this year it will hang long enough.

9 Likes

Are those other varieties grafted with the waltana?

2 Likes

Some creature is stealing my apples. The apples are too large for mice. Please donā€™t say a rat! They are just disappearing one by one. Time for the net!

4 Likes

I let my 4th year apples produce fruit this year. incredible feeling getting my first apple after so much time and patience has been put into the young orchard.

these are all on M111 and havenā€™t been sprayed since an insect spray at early fruit set. Iā€™m located in northwest GA.

The first is a Williams Favorite ( i believe this is different than the Williams Pride i read about so often here). Its a beautiful apple that ripened mid-July. mild flavor. crisp texture.

next is Summer Banana, Mammoth Blacktwig, and Grimes Golden. Not the prettiest, but all had their own unique flavor and wonderful crisp texture. Mammoth Blacktwig was the best tasting apple by a wide margin of these 4 in my opinion. Iā€™m almost certain i didnā€™t pick them at peak ripeness, but Iā€™ll learn over time.

9 Likes

No, they are all Waltana! Some of the insect damaged fruit started turning red, but others with no sign of insect started turning red as well. Although, maybe there is a bug in there and it just hasnā€™t come out yet. TBD.

2 Likes

I have all four of those grafts. I had one summer banana that was ripe and tasty, but another that did not seem ready. Canā€™t wait to try my mammoth black twig after your comments!

A late hanging Belle of Georgia and chojuro just picked. The chojuro I ate tonight was wonderful. Crunchy and juicy. I am picking them as they turn more golden/rusetted and this seemed just right. My other peaches were quite good and sweet. A few large ones like this and several still hanging. That seems later than previous years.

7 Likes

Mike did you get alot of sun this summer? maybe why they turned so dark?

where did you guys get scions for Williams favorite? id like to add a few to my new Williams pride to compare them. id trade for some if you could guys could spare a few next spring.

1 Like