Currant pictures

Which variety are your clove currants? Is it Crandall or something else?

These are Crandall from Raintree, planted in 2017.

2 Likes

Crandall is the variety of clove currants that I have.

1 Like

my consorts arenā€™t touched by birds but they love my crandalls! hopefully they dislike the 5 tibens i just put in, as much as the consorts. :wink:

Wow those clusters are gorgeousā€¦

Makes me wonder if my Pink Champagne has normal clusters. I feel like its lacking a bit with less than 6 berries per strand. Is this just because its still getting established or something else?

3 Likes

Yes, had that happen. It also happens when conditions are not ideal. I think if it rains a lot it may mess with pollination. Some fruit trees bloom for the first time and set no fruit. Not always but my bush cherries did just that. Yeah give it another year.
Those are long strands, for Pinks. Itā€™s a keeper! Most years it will have more takes. Some strands every year might be thin, but not all.

I like Rovada for itā€™s fairly long strands and huge berries. So easy to harvest! I took other reds out. It took too long to harvest. Notice the strand on the far right. It only has berries at the bottom. This is more typical. Most are about 75% that one is 50% or so.

7 Likes

Nice, I have Rovada and Jonkheer Van Tets as well. They seemed to be less tolerant of the heat in my area so I moved them where they get mid-day shade - well see if they do better this year.

I also have the September black currant planted in even more shade. Hopefully it can still produce decently with just 6 hours of direct sunlight.

3 Likes

Yes it should. Yeah other reds might be better for your area. I always thought of my zone 6a as about the warmest for good production of currants and haskaps. They can grow in warmer zones, but as you pointed out, heat can be a problem. Light can be a problem too. Here most years I harvested before we get much heat. Itā€™s July here before it starts becoming hot.

2 Likes

just put a jonkheer and a wild gooseberry in in full sun. should do well . Iā€™m anxious to see what the quality of fruit the wild one produces. found it growing in full shade under my pines. might see some fruit this summer. its wicked thorny!

In your zone that is perfect.

1 Like

might have a cutting or 2 of the jonkheer next spring for you. :wink:

1 Like

if my 5yr old consorts are any indication, yes they should. 7ā€™ by 6ft. wide with little fertilization.

If your wild gooseberry is anything like mine then the fruit will not be much to talk about. The berries on mine are just as thorny as the plants and much smaller compared to any of the named varieties I grow

1 Like

My currants and gooseberries get zapped by the last snowy frost, I managed to get them through som low temps but not the windy snow event. :slightly_frowning_face: First time in 7 years I will not have any. Zone 6a NY.

1 Like

mine are just waking up right now and after tonight the 7 day shows no frost so i think Iā€™m in the clear. although its possible to get frost until the 1st week of june here.

2 Likes