Currant pictures

6 Likes

I ate a few currants Wednesday…and picked blueberries. Gooseberries not ripe.
Jujubes…no fruit set yet. (All growing in containers).

2 Likes

Im getting ready to pick my first red currents tomorrow.

2 Likes

This is the start of picking of my red currents.

1 Like

Sorry, i downloaded the wrong picture.

3 Likes

Lol, I was worried you were picking them a tiny bit early…

I decided to go outside and look at my several currant plants. I also picked a few today.

4 Likes

Looking good. Do your currants all turn red at the same time? My currants ripen over extended time frames.

Red currants

2 Likes

Their is a window of a couple weeks. Some cultivars ripen more closely together. I prefer that. I pulled many of mine and replaced with Rovada, as it has big berries in big clusters which makes it super easy to harvest. These things get huge. It would take me 45 minutes to harvest all the small clusters. With Rovada it takes 5 minutes.

6 Likes

This is my first year actually getting fruit. They seem to be turning red at the same time but there are not that many.

1 Like

My red currants are on their 4th year and are loaded with berries. Unfortunatly, i have to pick berries every couple of days. They don’t ripen at the same time. Eventually i’m going to switch to rovadas.

Sometimes you need to do this with Rovada, but harvesting is easier. Clusters are big always. No small clusters to find hidden all over. Most of the berries ripen within a couple weeks. One cane may be earlier than another, but a closer pattern than some.
Also I heard a good companion to Rovada is Jonkheer Van Tets. It is earlier. Rovada is late.
Looking for cuttings of Jonkheer Van Tets myself to try. I should have a few extra Rovada plants in the fall. I started a new cordon with Rovada and planted 4 or 5 cuttings. looks like all took, I only need one the rest will be removed.

Another with long strings is Primus White. Although the berries are not that good. I like Imperial better. The pinks are the sweetest and if you like eating fresh, get the pinks. Still with a kick though, much better fresh IMHO.

Primus

3 Likes

All your currants look so good.

Here are my black consorts.

5 Likes

It looks like your going to have a lot of fruit this year. Do you have any trouble with birds eatihg your furrants?

1 Like

Yes, there will be a lot of currants. I’m thinking about taking one of those bushes out and replacing it with a clove currant or something like that. I’m the only one that eats these things in my household. Last year I ended up making jam and I still have two jars left. They take a long time to harvest also.

Does anyone know if clove currants and red currants tolerate shade the same way black currants do?

I have never once seen a bird eating the black currants. The catbirds now live in my elderberries, which are right next to the currants so I don’t know what’s up with that.

1 Like

Clove currants absolutely do well in shade. I’m in Lancaster, PA and mine get perhaps 3 hours of sunlight a day at most. The branches are bent to the ground right now from the fruit load.

5 Likes

Do you think you may have a cutting you could send next spring. I’ve had good luck propagating from currants from cuttings. Be willing to trade or buy.

Go Keystone state.

Jim

Yeah, just remind me sometime this winter. The plants are vigorous so I should have plenty of wood. They are very productive with minimal inputs as you can see.

7 Likes

Your currants look good and the fruit is nice size.

2 Likes