Currants; reds and blacks and whites and pinks

With the exception of the pink champagne my currants are producing. I wanted to post some impressions to see if this is typical for the color.

Black currant, Consort. The bush has the strongest unpleasant currant smell. The fruit kinda tastes like it, not a good thing. The skin is very thick. Is this the norm for black currants?

Red currant, Rovana. Good producer, thin skin. Acidic to the point of not being a good fresh eating berry but I can work with this.

White currant, Imperial. Now this is a fantastic fruit. Thin skin. Sweet. Extremely good for fresh eating but just about the entire crop gets earmarked for preserves because I then use it to make candied jalapeños, a family favorite. Bonus observation: All other currants propagate easy via cuttings but I have not been able to get this one to root yet.

4 Likes

Dear Don, I have grown all of the currants you have mentioned. Black currants are meant to be cooked. They are used in pies, tarts, jams, jellies, candy etc. Red currents and the other colors are all meant to be cooked as well. Those are used for making too ‘seedy’tarts but mostly jelly. They are not meant to be grown for ‘Fresh’ eating. I have grown them for over 40 years.

There is nothing better than good black currant jam!

3 Likes

We found white currants to be perfectly edible by themselves. Then again we have a predilection for sour fruits. Heck my daughter is an extreme; she doesn’t care for sweet cherries but loves eating sour cherries.

3 Likes

i eat both but like the sour cherries more. planted a primus white the spring of last year. it barely grew so i dug and moved it to a better spot and it took right off. my favorites are the blacks for processing. they make the absolute best jam and juice ever! the juice tastes alot like concord but richer. i barely add any sugar and its fabulous! i have 43 bushes started all over the property 3 years ago from pruning’s of 2 tiben black currants i got from Drew51. just stuck cuttings in late april and put some mulch around them. almost all took and grew with 0 care. i just been adding wood chips around them each spring to keep the weeds down. most are about 4ft. tall and have a good crop on them now. another week or 2 it be up to my ears in b. and red currants.

3 Likes

mrsg47 is correct that currant jam is mighty fine eating.

But, I have not called it quits on selecting the best currants for fresh eating.

So far, I’ve tried and like Rovada if fully ripe fresh from bush to mouth. Ditto for the variety Pink Champagne.

I’ve collected about 5 reds and about 10 blacks
so I hope to sample most next spring for the first time. (Meantime I can eat Black September, Ben More, and Ben Sarek and Tiben if I am hungry, and Titania if I don’t let the smell linger too long on the nose. I have about 5 more blacks that should bloom in the spring
and at least 3 more red ones, Tatran, Detvan, Redstart.)

They’re too easy to raise to not do a couple plants just for the fun of it.
And, you may find various uses for them.

3 Likes

I find the red and white currants are both excellent for fresh eating if you let them dry on the bush long enough. They take a good couple weeks after coloring up to fully ripen, at which point they are a nice juicy sweet-tart treat.

Hopefully one of these years my blackcurrants will actually fruit for me as well.

3 Likes

You mean after ‘coloring up’ perhaps? (I see you did indeed.) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure did.

1 Like

Your thoughts on the uses of fresh currants are valuable information.
I’m sure it’ll help several others as they try this fruit.

3 Likes

I should probably add the caveat that I enjoy plain raw cranberries. That being said, the red currants are a lot like pomegranate arils.

4 Likes

Excellent!

I have red,black,and pink currants. At beginning. I liked the prettiness of red and pink currants, and they are ok to eat fresh. I disliked the black currants for very strong flavor. But over the years. I grew to really love the flavor of black currants for its fragrance. nutritional value.and dark red color. I can eat black currants fresh, but most times I mix it with grapes to make beautiful color and nice aroma red wine.
This year’s red wine, waiting to be bottled.

5 Likes

We’ve made a bunch of black currant wines here over the years too. It really retains its flavor and aroma when fermented, unlike some other fruits we’ve tried. Really tasty stuff. Probably one of the closer facsimiles of grape wine we’ve been able to make.

4 Likes

Is there a currant variety that has smaller seeds than Red Lake? I’d like to try one that’s better for eating fresh, since we don’t consume much jam or jelly.

1 Like

I also find b. currant juice to taste similar to concord grape yet richer. i need to try it in wine esp. since i have such a glut of them.

3 Likes

I thought I planted a black currant and got all excited about wine, but it turns out it was a red currant. Will have to look for some more.

2 Likes

Red currant wine is also quite excellent.

2 Likes

Anyone growing the cultivar Kantata 50?
Or any of the recent commercial varieties such as “whistler”?

Any better for fresh comsumption?

In N.Zealand, several cultivars of black currants have been bred to need reduced chilling hours. Besides one short video on YouTube, any other info out there on these varieties?