Currants: what are the best tasting

I went on lines and ordered it from unwins. I should be receiving them any day now.

i also had to get rid of all but 1 of the goldens i had. they had WPBR so bad, it defoliated them 2xs so i chopped them. 1 for some reason didnā€™t get infected but its branches we all sprawling this summer. Iā€™m hopeful to see what kind of berry it has. the nursery in CO where i got them said they were reddish/ orange berries. maybe some of the branches will root during the winter so i can share.

never heard of therm. is that the nursery name? been trying to find a us source for ebony.

If you go on line and type in chris bowers and sons, you will find the ebony currant plants.

2 Likes

only one i find is in the uk and only has grown plants.

Yes and they donā€™t ship here, so Iā€™m confused? Well not about the shipping no overseas plant will be let in on purpose without quarantine and a permit. If Ebony is worthwhile, it will make it here probably by tissue culture at first. All I could find out is it originates from Eastern Europe. I myself like the strong tasting blacks, so Iā€™m really all set. Crandall is different I like it, but I like the traditional blacks better. I certainly would want to try Ebony. Many new blacks are touted to taste better. But it is all a matter of taste. So far none has impressed me tremendously as much as the heirloom cultivars. Some heirlooms are barely heirlooms, or will be soon like Consort. Which to me is the Red Haven of black currants. I added Crusader this year as it hails from the same program that made Consort. Lee Reich is an awesome grower, and he likes the Russian ones Belorusskaya and Kirovchanka. I highly respect his opinion and these may be worth pursuing. I have one and will have the other this spring. And note also from Eastern Europe. The Netherlands cultivars are amazing good, Rovada, Van tets, anything from there to me deserves at least a trial run. Yes some older Dutch cultivars are susceptible to WPBR so I suggest the newer ones. Iā€™m trying Risager and Slitsa, time will tell if these are worthwhile for me or not. I hope all listed in this post will become favorites.

2 Likes

i prefer the older stronger tasting ones as well but trying to increase my production and these seem to be a much bigger berry. Iā€™m definitely interested in crusader as i love my consorts but production is low compared to more modern varieties. how does Tiben produce for you?

So far Iā€™m not that impressed with production. I am growing it in a container though. Itā€™s in a 10 or 15 gallon root pouch. Enough room for OK production. I must say only two seasons into the plant, so production may pick up.
Itā€™s hard to tell possible mislabeled plants, so often wonder if some are? Like a very good producer for me is Black September which is supposed to ripen late, although it has not here. Ripening earlier, so think it is a possible mislabeled plant. Whatever it is, it produces, and the berries are good! My best producer.

2 Likes

Thanks to all for sharing their favorites - itā€™s a very helpful thread. I grew up in a region where currants are popular (Eastern Europe, well - we like to call it Central Europe but who cares) and it was a big disappointment when I learned that they are really hard to come by in the US unless you grow your own. Iā€™m starting a garden now, and want to give it a try, although Iā€™m prepared that in our hot intermountain west climate they will struggle. Itā€™s helpful to read everyoneā€™s insight here.
I find all the discussions (this thread and elsewhere) about the differences in taste between ā€œold heirloomsā€ and newer varieties of blackcurrants really curious. Iā€™ve always liked the black currants the best, and yes, the flavor is funky, but they can be good even eaten fresh when ripe. Makes me wonder if the commercial and homegrown varieties back home (no clue what they are, I wasnā€™t gardening back then) are more of the ā€œnewā€ or rather the ā€œoldā€ type - and I find them palatable mainly because I grew up with them.
I second all above recommendations for processing into syrups or jams (jams are a favorite - really good with mild farmers cheese on bread or with crepes. Or, I imagine chevre cheese would be nice too since farmers cheese can be another item hard to come by).
Also since it looked like some people may be looking for recipes, I wanted to share links to two cake recipes - can use up excess fresh berries or frozen ones (currants freeze spectacularly well!). I donā€™t have any connection to the farm which owns the website, or benefit in any way, but I got to try these with the very last of the stash of frozen berries, and the recipes are great. The farm is in England, and the recipe section on their website is worth a look - there are recipes for other currants and gooseberries too. I donā€™t have many people to share these recipes with otherwise - because, guess what, you canā€™t buy the berries easily around here. The recipes are already making rounds among friends and family back home though, so I can vouch for broad appeal.
The ā€œlemon curd and blackcurrantā€ cake is great tasting, moist, rich and very cakelike. Think indulgence and calories :wink:

The plain ā€œblackcurrant cakeā€ is fantastic - donā€™t get discouraged by the picture.

Less sweet, a ton of fruit utilized - warning, might be tart to uninitiated, although I shared with some friends who never experienced currants before and they loved it too. Can be made partly with whole wheat flour if desired and masquerade as a healthier take on dessert.
I hope sharing these doesnā€™t violate any rules on the forum - Iā€™ve been lurking for a while but first time posting, and wanted to share something with all fellow currant lovers and adventurous souls willing to try the berries. Canā€™t share growing experience yetā€¦

10 Likes

Hey thanks awesome to get some recipes! If you need cuttings of various black currants, contact me in the winter.

I just might! Thank you for the offer!

Here what I have

Ben Sarek
Black September
Consort
Crandall
Crusader (Ribes nigrumX R. ussuriense)
Golden currant (not the Crandall cultivar)
Goliath
Minaj Smyriou/Minaj Shmyrev/Minaj Smyreu
Tiben
Titania
Boskoop Giant
Belaruskaja
Risager
Slitsa

I also have some seedlings all volunteer but too small to trade yet. I have 3 or 4 of them.

Looking for Kirovchanka if anybody can help?
I need to heavily prune some so yeah shoot me a pm this winter.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve been reading up on whatā€™s commercially available - you really have quite a collection!

I only have a golden currant so far. Itā€™s native around here and does well. I picked up a clearance plant (ā€œ3 sticks and a leafā€ type :joy: ) locally late last summer, popped in in the ground in the fall - in the most sun scorched area of my east-and-south-and-west exposure front yard. It strolled through the winter and spring, got lovely blooms and good growth. Someone was asking earlier - the golden does have fragrant flowers too, not sure it was clove-like, but was sweet and lovely. Now itā€™s sulking as weā€™re into 2nd month of continuous 95F and above daysā€¦ But itā€™s still new so I hope it will do better next year. Weā€™ll see. And no, black currants are not going into the front yard :smiley:

Kirovchanka - I was eyeing it based on the description at Raintree. Might end up getting it, but thatā€™ll be a while and I bet you can get it from someone by the time I have cuttings.

2 Likes

thanks for the recipes. i only grow 2 types of black currants Tiben and consort but are a big fan of them. got some tiben cuttings from Drew 3 years ago and the berries are awesome! bigger than consorts and great flavor.

1 Like

They are tough to grow in high heat. You need a shady spot for them. You probably will have trouble growing them. Golden is more adaptable than most.

someone on here in z9 Cali says heā€™s growing 3 crandall cloves and they produce reliably for him.

2 Likes

Crandall also produces well for me here on the California coast (zone 10a).

3 Likes

Some nice member sent to my no charge a gooseberry. I kept in fridge until ready to plant, then totally forgot it. I thought I killed it but still had some roots.

( had asked about getting cutting of a certain variety but bag said poor man. So donā€™t know what it is. )

But I stuck it into the right container. Iā€™ll have to post a photo. Leaves are so green and healthy. It will be a year or more before I see any flowers but it looks like a survivor. Very nice to see something positive.

3 Likes

lol! it was you Jerry that i was talking about. couldnā€™t remember your name.

1 Like

gooseberries and currants are pretty tough. if kept moist , they can usually grow in even adverse conditions. most arenā€™t fond of heat over 80f though.

1 Like