Cut and paste persimmon descriptions

Glowing catalog descriptions often get your hopes up for the perfect specimen. When the descriptions are cut and pasted between different varieties, it makes you wonder what really is known about a particular plant.
E.g., One Green World has a new persimmon, 'Raven". The last 2 paragraphs in the Raven description are identical to the last 2 paragraphs in the Cardinal description, even referring to Raven as Cardinal!

2 Likes

I also think it’s funny that the picture is of a flower. At least it appears to be a female flower and not a male tree that won’t produce any fruit. The black fruit description sounds very interesting, though!

EDIT: Did anyone actually buy this tree? I swear there were 30 some available earlier when I first clicked on the link, but it’s sold out now.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s super unhelpful. I also hate it when you look at different nurseries to try to research a variety of just about any plant, and 90% of them have the exact same description word for word. And usually not a super helpful one, either.

1 Like

I found the same thing one time in an on-line vendor’s descriptions of apples. Two descriptions of very different varieties were identical. It was obvious that one was accurate, the other a cut-and-paste mistake.

FWIW, I informed them. They seemed very grateful and corrected the mistake immediately.

1 Like

i think the description is due to them havent fruited the mother tree. otherwise they would have a picture of a ripe fruit with a more accurate description of the flavor and etc.

And you don’t know where the description originated, so any references to dates of flowering or ripening aren’t helpful.

2 Likes

And they show you a picture of a different variety.