“Cyclopedia of Hardy Fruits”

Just doing a little browsing, and ran across this delightful volume from 1922 by U. P. Hedrick. Might give some folks in tougher climates some ideas of older, forgotten varieties to try. Even if you are not interested in hardy fruit specifically, it is an good read nonetheless.

It is free, and easy to read with Google Play: Cyclopedia of Hardy Fruits - U. P. Hedrick - Google Books

Also, one more thing, I guess mostly directed @scottfsmith (I believe he is the one who manages the website?). Just a suggestion: would it be possible to either create a “History” category, or perhaps a Reference topic with the various historical books and manuals people have posted here? I love to look at the historical things people have posted whenever I happen to run across them, but there’s no central location where people can find all the links, or easily refer back to something they’ve previously read.

Just a thought, perhaps it is not feasible for other reasons, or perhaps you are too busy, but I thought I’d throw it out there as a possible way to consolidate references for those among us who are history buffs or those interested in heirloom fruit.

3 Likes

There is a list of historical fruit books in the general reference page:

This page I planned on splitting into multiple pages as it filled out, and it would be nice to have a reference page on historical books alone. Any regular can edit these wiki pages, so perhaps you would like to take a go at filling out that historical books section? Once its big enough it can be its own reference page.

In general editors are welcome for any component of the general reference, much of that is just a shell now. I might work on it some myself this winter.

2 Likes

All right, thank you, I did not know anyone could edit reference pages, and I must have missed the one on old books and articles somehow. (More stuff for me to dive into now!! :smiley: )

Heh. Now that I mentioned it might be nice to consolidate everything, I guess I should see if I can do my part and add things to the reference page… :yum:

1 Like

Thanks for that link and thanks to Google for adding a clickable Table of Contents. It’s a nice readable book. Also on that Google Books page is a section of Related Books that looks interesting. There’s plenty of free winter reading there.