Damn birds!

the birds around here rarely touch my fruit. 4 sour cherries full of fruit and its ignored. went to check on the progress of my Clarks crab which set a 1st good crop and they plucked 80% of the thumb sized apples off the tree just to do it. anyone see this before? these apples didnt have any color other than green. 20ft from it my Juliet cherry is starting to color up, untouched. w,t.h!

2 Likes

Squirrels will often go through lots of green fruit and discard each one before they decide to stop, but Iā€™ve never seen birds do it. Crows and magpies only occasionally hit a few apples toward the top of my tree but havenā€™t done any serious harm.

3 Likes

thereā€™s a chipmunk living in the garage but ive never seen him in the trees. was hoping the cat got him before he starts storing nuts in there for the winter. i guess its possible. there are a few pine squirrels living in my big spruces, but theyā€™ve never bothered with my fruit that i know of. ill keep a eye out. ive had a live and let live mentality with them but that might have to change. the crows sometimes pluck unripe honeyberries but only off the lowest branches. there would be broken branches if they landed on that small tree.

Agree with Mark, Iā€™ve seen squirrels and chipmunks wreck green fruit seemingly just for the hell of it, but birds seem to be more civilized in this regard.

5 Likes

Well, I was surprised to see what looked more like a river otter than anything else running away from my orchard/garden a couple of mornings ago. Donā€™t think It was a squirrel, cat, raccoon, skunk, muskrat, armadillo, mink, fox, coyote or opossum. Whatever it was it looked to have played in a puddle of water/mud that was left over from my watering stuff. If it was a river otter it had ā€˜otterā€™ stay away from my orchard/garden. :grinning: Didnā€™t somebody say that river otters are really playful?

Something has been eating the green apples. Iā€™m trying to put a stop to that by putting a fence around them. Birds have been getting the blueberries but Iā€™m getting a few for myself.

2 Likes

Sh-h-h-h! Birds are GOOD! Today I was checking my trees for beetles and was really surprised that despite some leaves damage I do not see a single beetleā€¦ Until I got inside my berry enclosure that is covered with net from all sides, so no birdā€™s accessā€¦ There was a beetle fest inside!

4 Likes

@steveb4
I am just about to finish the final round of apple and pear thinning. There were a few green fruit that got birdā€™s pecks.

I have seen squirrels on my pear and apples trees. Like others said, they took bites of those green fruitlets just to try them out.
Also, I have seen chipmunks on high branches of my trees before. They are nasty little rodents.

4 Likes

I donā€™t share that opinion todayā€¦I went out with my daughter to pick back currants (something I do each July 4th). Except this year the birds cleaned them out. We got maybe 0.2 pints instead of 4-6 quarts.

Soon after, I was looking at traps for Spotted Lantrenfly (in addition to tons on weedy ToH, Iā€™m seeing lots of them on grapes and a few on figs) and saw that some people were complaining that sometimes birds get caught in them. I clicked ā€œBuyā€.

Iā€™ve been intensively trapping/eliminating chipmunks and squirrels in my back yard. I had assumed that it would clear the entire area, but it seems that there are still some active in my front yard. Several weeks before they were ripe, the entire graft of Arctic Glo was completely stripped. They left most (all?) the peaches on the tree. It seems the squirrels movement isnā€™t enough to set off the ring doorbell camera, but when I carefully went over several days of footage, I noticed a couple times when a car went by and a squirrel ran out of the treeā€¦

A few trees over (still in the front) I also noticed that all of Stanā€™s seedling apricots have disappeared. No good camera angle on this one, but I would bet on squirrels here too. Looks like I need to do some trapping in the front yard too.

5 Likes

~80 of the 30 corn I planted this year have been destroyed. They were repeatedly dug up (hence the larger numerator, I replanted most of them several times before they were irreparably damaged) and tossed on the ground. About six surviving plants made it to just under three feet tall. And I went outside last night to find all of them chop and dropped at the base or a few inches up. I #@%&ing love rabbits.

3 Likes

You have my sympathy. I thought I had to only deal with squirrels in the backyard (quieter and more trees).

The front yard is a small, short street with cars and people walking so I thought squirrels would not dare. Iā€™ve found squirrels coming across the street to attack my fruit (have jujubes and plums) in the front yard. They are harder to trap, too.

4 Likes

My experiences are that for every one you relocate another moves in. Iā€™ve relegated myself to just preventative measures and growing more fruit than they can wipe out.

Iā€™ve never really had a grey issue until this year. Usually I have a red squirrel or two hanging around and not many greys. This year itā€™s no reds and 5-10 greys. The reds are fairly territorial so maybe that has something to do with it.

4 Likes

The Fox squirrels are welcome to any fruit they like. Greys gotta go.

3 Likes

Itā€™s been a while since I planted any corn, but I had a bit of extra garden space at one rental and put in about 20 seeds last week (4 rows of 5). Even before I left the site, I had to chase the birds away a couple times, so Iā€™m sure it got dug up. So, I came back a few days later, sowed another ~20, then covered it with some orange fencing. Once they start to germinate I can remove it. Itā€™s still possible for birds to crawl under it, but Iā€™m hoping they wonā€™t want to put them selves in such a vulnerable situation just to dig around. For what itā€™s worth, I didnā€™t see any birds this timeā€¦

In my yard, they are a real pain. So far, they seem to ignore anything in a pot and go for anything planted in-ground. Iā€™m trying a new strategy. These pole beans were planted in the ground, after which I put a old decorative metal pot with a rusted off bottom around them. So far, so good.

Iā€™ve got a trap within 5 feet of my front door nowā€¦

Unless you are relocating them a LONG way, they could just be coming back. I had a friend who used to spray paint their tails orange before releasing them. I moved them quite a ways, 5-10 miles I think, but said he did find one of the same ones again. I relocate them to the afterlife, so Iā€™ll be much more bothered if they start coming back. :slight_smile:

Some sites seem to have less pressure than others. I have one rental where a bunch of apricots dropped last year and they actually waited for me on the ground without much damage at all. I was there today and picked a few donut nectarines. At 3 other sites they were all stripped before I could get much, if any.

3 Likes

The corn was transplanted in as ~6" seedlings and most of them were ripped out the ground every day for probably a week. I had newly grafted trees in 1 and 2 gallon pots and those were getting dug into twice a day by either squirrels or chipmunks. A chipmunk ate a hole through the netting and ate/destroyed four fairly loaded second or third year honeyberry bushes. And my nectarine trees first five fruit were stripped about two or three weeks before they would have been ripe. Itā€™s been a bad year.

2 Likes

Yes I sympathise. Noisy miners here in southern australia pecked off all my fujiā€™s without eating them in 1 day. I had my luisa plum netted and they somehow managed to burrow under the netting and proceeded to peck the ripe ends of the plums . Noisy miners are somewhat hated here.

4 Likes

You are very lucky !! Here in Mannheim and up and down the Rhine River green feathered devils with a red ring arround the neck are doing a desaster in the Garden . They discard apple- and plumtrees; the ground is full with green apples and light blue plums. Shooting them is prohibited, if you are caught, the fine is up to 50000 ā‚¬. My Laser is unvisible and silent, but it takes a lot of time working on the parrots with the laser.

2 Likes

Our big burly Pyrenees Carly was barking like crazy last night at dusk. Went out and did not see anything. Then she woofed and looked right at my peanuts growing in a 36" tall tub. Surr enough when I walked over there, there were 2 rabbits crouching low in the remains of our peanutsā€¦argh!

1 Like

I always attributed this behavior to racoons. It has happened to nearly everything I have planted - raspberry plugs, landscape plants, etc.

3 Likes

I thought I could get a few peaches on my outside tree without protection. But no such luck. The birds ruined half the fruit by the time they were half size. Fortunately I have a 30x30ft net of 30% shade cloth. I had to prune the tree down to size and throw the net over the tree. Iā€™m down to a 25% crop but maybe I can save most of those.

5 Likes

I went back to remove the orange fencing and it looks like it helped protect against birds taking the seed, but something came along and ate the tops off. That is, the part that stuck up above the fencing. I donā€™t know if it will keep growing. I

bet that whatever nibbled it will come back and finish it off. I guess I need to build a big steel cageā€¦

It also looks like the birds missed some of the first seeding, as there were a number of places where two came up.

1 Like