Dapple Dandy good enough pollinator for Flavor King?

We recently moved and miss my old 3n1 Pluot tree that had Flavor king, flavor queen, and dapple dandy. I didn’t like having to constantly beat down the dapple dandy/flavor queen parts of the tree as FK was such an anemic grower. We’re now on 1 acre here in 9b in Southern California and miss the Flavor king and dapple dandy. Will I get good fruit set with just a DD and a FK? Or would putting in a Santa Rosa plum help? A spice zee nectaplum will also be planted nearby but I don’t think it’s an approved pollinator for Pluots. Thanks!

I’m in Vista, CA with winter lows above 35°F. My Flavor Grenade blooms earlier than Beauty japanese plum with a slight overlap.

1 Like

It’s really hard to tell. A lot depends on timing of bloom as affected by chilling and weather. Another pollinator or two might help some years. Other pluots that might help that I like better than Dapple Dandy or Flavor Queen are: Geo Pride, Flavor Grenade, Flavor Finale, Emerald Drop, and Emerald Beaut plum.

I had this 3x1 tree, but I only had a few Dapple Dandy plums one year, after 8 years, I cut down the whole tree, much happier, it took a huge space in my yard with practically no fruit. However, my Santa Rosa, Shiro, and Satsuma tree nearby is producing much better.

Check the zones for plucots. Some are sensitive to the north environments. I’m in 5B and I cheat mother nature. I get Dapple Dandy, Flavor Queen Geo Pride and Flavor Grenade to produce here. If managed right they are great eating fruit.

1 Like