Dapple Dandy Pluot 2021

Annie, of course that kind of thing happens, and I’m not a professional fruit grower, I’m just a hobbyist like you.

From the great mistake of the bad labeling in the nurseries of the Emerald Beaut variety, I also bought that variety and it took 5 years to discover that the Emerald Beaut plum was the Emerald Drop pluot that I had already had in my orchard for a long time.

But it is really preferable this type of thing (buy in nurseries) that to do other much more dangerous misdeeds.

Regards
Jose

Jose,
The first option you mentioned is NOT legal if there is no certification that such scionwood is free of pests and diseases. I know a lot of people do it but that does not make it legal.

Joe with all the respect, I must point out the inconsistency in your statment. First, you said
"“while in the second option everyone obtains benefits without any type of risk” , now you admit that kind of things (nursery can mis label things) happens.

Also you dragged professional grower into this conversation. Frankly, you are or not a professional grower really does not make any differences in this matter. A professional grower can be wrong and a amateur/ hobbyis can be right , it all depends on who has the facts.

I’m not saying your variety is or is not a dapple dandy. All I say is that yours is different than mine.

Also keep in mind, the possibility is always there that your friends made a mistake and sent you a wrong scion. There is always a possible risk in your “no risk option”. Don’t be so sure.

Patent describes color as: “Color.–Varies from orange white to pale orange (5-A-2) to (5-A-3) around pit to light red to rose red (12-A-5) to (12-B-8) near skin. Pit cavity varies from dull red to brownish red (9-C-3) to (9-C-4).”

Every palate experiences flavors differently. To me, purple fleshed pluots aren’t really much different than Elephant Heart plums whose flavor isn’t terribly complex but amazing for its texture and sweetness- meaty and very juicy at the same time.

Flavor Grenade, with its yellow flesh, could just as well been called sugar grenade and what makes it unique to me isn’t it’s unusual flavor but it high level of sugar that allows you to enjoy it crisp.

Flavor Grenade to me is not a very good fruit. I’m not impressed with it at all. I’m letting mine ripen more. Maybe it will be better? It’s certainly not in the same class as DD or Dapple Supreme which is even better. To my palate anyway.
My DD came from Dave Wilson Nursery. The fruit shown looks off but who knows? Mine is red very early in. If mine looked like that it would be very unripe. I guess mine could be mislabeled too. From a multigrafted tree, done by DWN.

Here’s a photo of my unripe Dapply Dandy. It is early this year in NY and should ripen in two or three weeks. One late year it didn’t ripen until mid September.

1 Like

Hi Annie, it is in the nature of the human being not to be 100% perfect, and mistakes can occur, but I can assure you that it is much easier to receive wrongly labeled cuttings in an exchange, or as it has happened to me, to be for 4 years exchanging with a “gentleman from the United States” and receiving cuttings of false varieties (with the knowledge of the person who was sending them), in exchange for authentic varieties, and not just authentic varieties, varieties bought in a reputed European nursery with invoice and sent to the United States with root ( these were the requests of this “gentleman” to carry out the exchanges ).
And after receiving the cuttings year after year, it was necessary to graft them successfully of a multitude of varieties in many amount of trees , for 4 years, take care of the trees and in the fifth year when they bear fruit, see that all the varieties sent by this “gentleman” are false.
I assure you, this was very little fun.
For this reason, I not exchange grafting material with people in the United States for many years, and I limit myself to buying the varieties that interest me from reputable nurseries, and my trusted friends (serious people like me) send me the graft cuttings. perfectly well prepared and labeled.
So I can assure you that my variety of pluot Dapple Dandy is legitimate, and the variety of pluot Dapple Dandy that you see a few messages below from partner Dennis “danzeb” is also 100% legitimate.
I did not want to comment on such “cumbersome” matters. But talking is not necessary but answering if necessary.

danceb, yes , that is the coloration offered by the patent of the Dapple Dandy pluot, and your variety is legitimate (sure), simply by looking at the photographs of your fruits of the Dapple Dandy variety its legitimacy is perfectly distinguished.

Alan I agree with you on both things hahahahaha.
I mean, tastes are very personal and it is possible that a flavor, be pleasant a greater or lesser extent, but the flavor “is invariable” what varies is personal opinion.
Regarding the flavor and texture of the Elephant Heart plum variety, from my point of view it is a true delight, very sweet, very aromatic, very good, “but lacks” that peculiar and complex flavor that characterizes good varieties of pluots , and this is the difference between a magnificent plum and a good pluot.

Alan I continue with you, and with Drew regarding the Flavor Grenade pluot.
This variety of pluot “is rarer than a green dog” hahahahaha.

It’s a pluot delight, but it has a different flavors than the classic pluots (Flavor Supreme, Flavor King, Flavor Finale, Flavor Treat, Dapple Dandy, Dapple Supreme).
The Flavor Grenade variety harvested early does not express even 20% of its potential.

Please look at these photos because it is very illustrative

Pluot Flavor Grenade Harvest of the Year 2017

Pluot Flavor Grenade Harvest of the Year 2020

Flavor Grenade 2020

Flavor Grenade 2020-2
As you can see, in the harvest of the year 2017 was carried out a little early, with which the fruits had high acidity and low taste and aromas.

However, the 2020 was harvested at its optimum moment, the acidity levels are greatly reduced, and the aromas and flavors of tropical fruit rise a lot, making this variety a truly delightful.
Flavor Grenade have a different flavor to the classic pluots, but is a real delight.

This variety must be allowed to ripen on the tree as much as possible so that it expresses its full potential.

Regards
Jose

2 Likes

Hi everyone! I have my dapple dandy pluot flowering, but it’s the only one on flower. No plums, apricots or other pluot varieties on flower… my question is that if he can fruit alone or have to get cross polination from another tree.
Thank’s!

1 Like

It needs cross pollination.

2 Likes

Thank’s! There are any pluot variety that can flower so early?
Thank’s!

My Dapple Supreme is starting to bloom now,ahead of any Plum or Pluot.

1 Like

We don’t have that variety here… i will have to wait. But maby he is flowering because it’s the first growing phase here and the tree came from a colder country…

I live in a long, cold winter area, so bloom times from my orchard are completely irrelevant to yours.

Dave Wilson website says the following: “ Pollenized by Flavor Supreme Pluot®, Flavor King Pluot®, Santa Rosa, Catalina or Burgundy Plum”. Dave Wilson is in California’s Central Valley, with climate closer to yours.

1 Like

Off patent ‘Flavorich’ and ‘Dapple Dandy’ have excellent pollen shed. Here you see the two blooming on 4/21/21:

Flavorich

Dapple Dandy

Both have been grafted at least 3 if not 5-years ago or more. They’re acclimated. It’s my “opinion” because I have no research or data to back my thoughts up, but whether California zone 10 or zone 6 IL, the blooming overlapping patterns will/should remain (a) constant…

Therefore I learn from California at let’s say Dave Wilson Nursery which varieties there bloom together and which don’t, and, use their data to select another cultivar that will overlap bloom again.

It shouldn’t be difficult to understand is what I’m trying to state… it should be straight-forward that if Dapple Dandy and Flavorich bloom at the same time here, therefore… that they also will in Santa Rosa, California- or Delaware Conneticut or Jackson, Mississippi, or going over continents to the cold north of Warsaw Poland or the warmth of Rome, Italy.

If certain climatic factors for an “odd” year change blooms a bit, well then so be it… but that won’t be consistent information that may be accounted for as reliable information, not ever. That’s opinion-based again, only.

I have not had fruit yet, so, verification of my grafted scions may not be assumed true to culitvar.

1 Like

This advice is just as solid and I bet has something to do with what @Ahmad means regarding pollination characteristics.

“If you have pollinators, you will realize that a pollination which coincides one year does not coincide the other. As a result you put several pollinators, …”
This advice comes from @Arhus76 on a persimmon thread and I felt it to be true today - but I didn’t wish to mess with it, truthfully. It’s a lot of truth and truth can hurt a lot sometimes in orchards and among “professional” ‘conversationalists’ - ha-ha. :joy: :sweat_smile: :rofl: :blush:

I’d prefer to dig the hole, throw the shovel out and run like hell!

Dax

1 Like

Hello, there are plants for sale in EU?

1 Like

yes, what’s your country?

Švestkomeruňka DAPPLE DANDY | Jukka.cz
Švestkomeruňka DAPPLE DANDY - podnož Myrobalán - Meruňky v kontejneru | Subtropické zahradnictví KRUH (zahradnictvikruh.cz)

Italy. Thanks Luis :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Can you please contact me privately? Thanks

Massimo

1 Like