Daybreak Fuji and Crimson Crisp

I have this and a crimson R Gold another new Apple variety next to each other. I haven’t been wowed by them. Maybe I’m getting Apple overload from my favorites I’m eating at the same time. I added some Crimson Crisp to my cider blend and it makes a nice light red cider.

Does anyone know if this variety is off patent?

appleseed

I’m pretty sure its still under patent protection. I believe the patent was in 2005.

Also, I grow September Fuji in my nursery. Is Daybreak another early sport. S.Fuji grows apples a Fuji lover would love.

I bought an “Early Fuji” apple from Raintree last spring called Beni Shogun which could also be the same thing. Supposed to ripen about a month ahead of Fuji. Anyone ever taste it?

It tastes pretty good, but more watery compared with late Fuji. We picked lots of early Fuji this year as all late Fuji flowers were killed by a late frost. So no late Fuji for U-pick this year.

So many Fuji variations. I just ordered Rising Sun Fuji for next spring. UMass here says it is worth growing. I want earlier Fugi so I ordered it.

Alan

Daybreak Fuji is ACN’s early Fuji

I’ve been considering adding Crimson Crisp next year, based on its taste reviews and disease resistance. Can anyone on here give an update on their CC results? Thanks.

Very good this year without a lot of insect or disease problems. Its not a very vigorous tree in my area on B9.

Thanks, what kind of flavor, texture did you get out of them? Do they keep long? About when do they ripen?

Ripened after Daybreak Fuji, Very Crisp, Sweet/Tart. Medium size, but looks like a slow grower

1 Like

Crimson Crisp grown here in Maine is a late apple, mid Oct ripening. Medium small size, dense crisp texture with good acid sweet balance. Good keeper as well, and disease resistance makes it a winner in my book.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies, sounds like a good DR apple to try. They had some CC trees at the orchard we visited but they unfortunately had ran out of fruit when we got there.

Does anyone have experience as to how Crimson Crisp handles Fireblight?

I grafted a branch of crimson crisp last year. Two weeks ago one of its three apples dropped. It was maybe 3/4 red but not deep red - kind of mottled. I checked the other two that were coloring up a bit. They fell off in my hand. Let’s say I was not optimistic about this apple in this heat. Especially since they dropped in early Aug. They sat in the fridge a couple of weeks. I pulled one out last night and it was fantastic. Sweet/tart, very crunchy, and on the small side. The kids gobbled them up. I’ve had them from the N Georgia orchards and they ranged from slightly boring to very good depending on the year. I was surprised they were just as good here in my yard even after dropping in this heat and not fully colored. I second the idea that it is a slow grower. The grafted branch is probably 1/2 the size of other grafts I did last year. Its all spurred up and ready to go for next year.

For comparison, sundance also started dropping with crimson crisp. They sat in the fridge too. They probably needed to sit in storage longer. They tasted a little underripe. The texture was also weird. They were dense but kind of rubbery. The rubbery texture reminded be of how a store-bought golden delicious has a bounce to it when you squeeze. I’ll give it the ax if its not better next year.