DEC - DONALD EUGENE COMPTON PERSIMMON Varities

Perfect Circle has a few available for scion purchase now. I grabbed some discussed above.

3 Likes

I have DEC Improved Rosseyanka in ground since fall. It’s a very petite graft, maybe 6-8 inches tall. Made it through winter and buds breaking just now.

3 Likes

Ok. I have googled and searched the archives for “Improved Rosseyanka” and I can not find anything. I saw on Perfect Circle where they sell scions, but I do not see the description.
I’m so curious and have to know…What makes it “improved”? My curiosity is killing me, because Rosseyanka is one I have always wanted. I bought one and the graft on the grafted tree failed after a year or two. I have no idea why. But that was just the plain Rosseyanka, not the improved variety by Compton.

Anyhow I would love to know what the DEC “improved Rosseyanka” is or where I can find more info about it.

2 Likes

@parkwaydrive

Can you help us out with descriptions or any information on these compton type persimmons?

1 Like

It would likely be a seedling of Rosseyanka. DEC persimmons in general have very little information available on the internet as no effort has been made to market them. Mr. Compton appears to just really enjoy breeding persimmons, and I hope we can discover more about the best ones. Asking @Buzzferver would be a good first step.

5 Likes

@Thazo1979 Yes, I know nothing about it other than what the name implies, and I did obtain it from Buzz so that’s probably a good starting place as @disc4tw recommends. I have combed through Mr. Compton’s posts on Facebook (from when he was active) and found nothing about this cultivar specifically. I see others are also going to grow it out, hopefully we can share information here.

1 Like

I don’t know any real info about that particular cultivar, but Id asked earlier about another DEC called ‘Large Morris Burton’ and someone (i forget who, maybe @JCW ?) chimed in that it is a seedling of ‘Morris Burton’. Rosseyanka in particular has many confusing doppelgängers, including some from the original breeding. I forget who was expounding on those details from the past, maybe @Harbin ?. There are also a bunch of more contemporary alternate cultivars that confusingly sport some iteration of the same name, like one called ‘Male Rosseyanka’ and another called ‘Rosseyanka 2’ (if memory serves)

4 Likes

A little while back I listened to a NAFEX online meeting (still there on YouTube) on persimmon and pawpaw breeders. Buzz Ferver and Darren BB were the presenters. They talked a little about Compton’s work. From the little they said, it seems like Compton is focusing on commercial pulping qualities. Several of the DEC varieties they got permission to release would not have been released if it were up to Compton just because the varieties aren’t great for commercial harvesting (due to black specks, skin, drops, etc.). They also said that what they thought was worth releasing didn’t always line up with what Compton thought was worth releasing, but he seemed to be really easy going about letting them pick what they wanted to release and name it whatever they wanted, as long as it had the DEC at the beginning. DBB said he thought DEC Goliath was the best of the bunch so far.

I’m going to try to get my hands on DEC Goliath and a few others next year to try them out. I’m glad Compton’s work is getting some attention and distribution. Every small step in the progress of persimmon breeding is one less the next generation of persimmon breeders won’t have to take.

6 Likes

I have DEC Goliath here. The other one Buzz was emphatic that I grow is a DEC hybrid of Thor x Nikita’s gift. It has a numbered designation only, I want to say its ‘C5’. Will have to double check

8 Likes