Definition for SWD

Am new here and, while finding amazingly useful information, was wondering if there is any place the explains some of the commonly used acronyms? For example, what does SWD mean? In some places it seems to refer to some kind of weather event and in others it seems to refer to pest infestation. Thanks for the help!

3 Likes

SWD Spotted Wing Drosophila Fruit Fly
PC= Plum Curculio beetle.

3 Likes

It won’t take long to learn the abbreviations. I learned a lot while trying to figure them out. It forces you to do a little research.

3 Likes

I looked up SWD and got single women of Depression. as well as

SWD
Salt Water Disposal Well Oilfield,Oil,Gas
7 SWD Senior Working Dog Dog,Agility,Dog Sport
6 SWD Short Wave Diathermy Medical,Dentistry,Technology
5 SWD Scent Work Detective Dog Sport,Agility,Sports
5 SWD Seward Airport Airport Code,Airport,IATA Code
5 SWD Southward Weather Forecast,Meteorology,Forecasting
5 SWD Spanish Water Dog Dog Breed,Dog,Water
4 SWD Social Work Department Occupational Therapy,United Kingdom,UK
4 SWD Spike-Wave Discharges Medical,Neurology
4 SWD Students with Disabilities+ 2 variants Education,Disability,Vermont
3 SWD Salt Water Disposal Oil,Gas,Environment
3 SWD Satisfaction With Decision Medical,Gynaecology,Oncology
3 SWD Shift Work Disorder Medical,Disorder,Sleep
3 SWD Spotted Wing Drosophila Drosophila,Wing,Fruit
2 SWD Saltwater Drowning Jurisprudence,Law
2 SWD Sea Water Damage Shipping,Freight
2 SWD Seismic While Drilling Drilling,Earth Science,Geoscience
2 SWD Senior Web Designer

8 Likes

Good looking pups.

2 Likes

That SWD (Shift Work Disorder is a real one…I had it for a few years).

2 Likes

Spotted wing drosophila is a fruit fly that lay eggs in unripe fruit. The larva spoil the fruit (vinegar and rot, not just worms) and they can rapidly ruin whole harvests of soft fruit. They can get to pretty much all soft fruits: figs, berries, you name it. Hard fruits like apples and pears generally aren’t impacted.

1 Like

If you goog. Swd and fruit… you get there.

https://fruit.cornell.edu/spottedwing/

2 Likes

However, if you Google “goog”, you do not get google!

2 Likes

The wasps I have been seeing look like a very close match for Leptopilina japonica, maybe they hitched a ride in some cherries?

1 Like

More initialism “fun”: SWDs are often found in association AFFs (African fig flies—or, if you prefer, “another *&^%$#@ fly”), both of which leave me feeling rather PO’d. When referring to the former in conversation, I often just say “Japanese vinegar flies” to avoid confusion—not that anybody is actually listening to my complaints! Increasingly, though, they’re becoming a package deal here by September—with the AFFs seeming to actually out-compete the SWDs on figs and late brambles—so I usually just say “vinegar flies” or “invasive vinegar flies,” and mean both. We could use some friendly parasitoids all right! SMH.

1 Like

SWD in relation to fruit trees may also reference Southwest Damage.

1 Like

SWD in relations to any fruit stands for Really Bad News.

1 Like

So glad I wasn’t the only one who found rather confusing definitions. Should have thought to put in fruit to narrow the search down. But thanks for all the replies!