Defoiltion effect on early blackberry growth

Theoretically possible, but they tend to become diseased. I have seen 10 foot plants though, but only one season.

When I overwintered the tree I pruned it to keep it somewhat symmetrical and took off all of the leaves. then I surrounded it with some fluorescent lights.

photo Picture137.jpg

When I used to overwinter other pepper plants I would cut them off a few inches from the ground pull them right out of the ground and wash the roots off completely then trim them.

photo Picture145.jpg

photo Picture155.jpg

Have not overwintered since I had to release 5000 ladybugs in my basement. They did not help, I had to trash about 400 plants that year.

http://s117.photobucket.com/user/thepodpiper/library/?sort=3&page=1

drew, I only have the orange one.

fruitnut, sorry for the hijacking of your thread.

I do have some seeds, I need to grow them out. Thanks for the photos, excellent info!
I was not going to grow them this year, it is rather late to start seed, but I think i will anyway just to have fresh seed, and the red seems quite rare!

thepodpiper, Good info. Thanks for sharing. I will try it this fall for my regular pepper just to experiment it,

Drew, don’t you live near detroit? Its not to late to start peppers. Its not the best time to start chinense species but they will be fine if you start them now. I will start my annuums today actually.

Yes, 8 miles from 8 mile (Detroit city limit).Yeah it is still fairly early and the season seems later and later every year. Still freezing temps at night.
I have 18 varieties going now, two of some, and 18 tomato plants, also two of most of them. I will give away most and keep one of each… I will start the habs today, I hope I can find room!