Dehydrate first time

I’ve been thinking about how to store more fruit without having to use so much space. When the fruit like my muscadines start to ripen it quickly fills up the refrigerator and freezer so I bought this budget dehydrator from WalMart to give it a test run. I was surprised at how many fruits (seedless muscadines) it would hold. I added about five quarts to four shelves and it has five. I guess it will max out at about six quarts. I’m just getting started and I’m anxious to taste them. Any suggestions going forward are welcome.

5 Likes

Muscadine raisins…interesting (if the hull/peel isn’t too tough).

1 Like

I don’t know how they will turn out but I have plenty of extra to test.

2 Likes

Might dry a lot faster with multiple punctures per grape.
Perhaps the removed stem creates one puncture.

2 Likes

I make raisins with my grapes in my dehydrator and they come out excellent. I dry figs and stone fruit. I make garlic powder too. I have a decent model with square trays. Strawberries come out awesome too. I use it all the time. As I’m typing I’m drying plums. I had a windfall crop of a few different plums. I gave about 100 away and have another hundred to dry

5 Likes

i have a similar type dehydrator and doing the same with aronia, black currant, strawberries , black berries and raspberries. my freezers full also so im trying to make space. 1st batch is nearly done.

3 Likes

homemade garlic powder is awesome

2 Likes

ill be upgrading mine next season to one like yours Drew. stacking them one on top of the other like mine kinda sucks. how long does a batch of those take to dry in there?

1 Like

you slice your garlic with a food processor? once im done with the berries in going to try the garlic. got a big crop of them.

2 Likes

On sunny days I use my rusty DIY solar dehydrator. Temps can get up to 135F when 80 outside. In the evening I transfer square trays to my Excalibur dehydrator to continue drying overnight. I run 2 of these for my plum and fig harvest.
IMG_1020
IMG_1021

6 Likes

Yes once you make it you will never buy that crap they sell in the stores. I hardly use it as I like fresh better. Yet some applications it is very handy to have. It’s so good too.

2 Likes

Very cool!

2 Likes