Dew Drop Pear

I am cultivating his enabling but there is a method to my madness. I started using the excuse I am too old for ladders so I had him up on it grafting some pear scions. He was fascinated with the process and I think I will win him over to our side. :blush:

Yes he bought me Dew Drop

ETA the tree came with 2 lables, each from a different place one said Dew Drop the other was HW623) so I am hoping this means that the pear is the variety the tags say they are.

4 Likes

@BlueBerry
That sounds more like a quince than a pear. That would be a mean trick to pull on someone to switch quinces and pears around.

2 Likes

Ursula,
Now that you’ve trained him to be a grafter, please send him out to hunt for Harrow 624, too.

You will probably be the first one among GF members who will fruit both 623 and 624 pears. I admit I am very envoius!!!f

4 Likes

Well let’s hope this tree survives, and I will get him looking for 624.

2 Likes

I forgot that you are in zone 2!!!

Do you know what zone Harrow station is in? 5 or 6?

I am not sure the zone of Harrow. I am pushing the zones on some fruit and doing espalier step overs so the snow or a mulch of straw will protect them. Seckle lived last winter with this method, but I do know that it takes more than a few winters to evaluate if a fruit tree will survive.

1 Like

It was a “Forelle” pear. Not one I’ll ever buy from Walmart ever again! (In fact I seldom go to Walmart…maybe 5 times a year.)
I think a good quince would have tasted better, even if overly firm.

2 Likes

Just an update.
I was afraid that this pear would not survive the winter out in the elements and I wanted to make sure to get some viable scions this spring so I planted it in my greenhouse last fall.
My greenhouse is just a plastic roll up one with no heat from Nov. till the end of March. Today the leaf buds are starting to emerge, this is one tough cookie. It may not keep flower buds at our minus temps. but hope springs eternal and if this tree shows itself to be this hardy I might have to rig up a system to add a little heat during the very coldest nights in the winter.

6 Likes

I am looking to purchase a dewdrop pear for this spring. Appreciate if you can update us on how this one is progressing and how the fruit taste?

1 Like

Ursula is in Canada. This pear variety is available there. So far, I have not heard that it is available in the US.

1 Like

O, I am in Ontario, Canada. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, did not look at your profile. You may want to check your local nurseries.

@northof53 , Ursula may be able to tell you where her son bought it from.

1 Like

Well hello Winnie, I have been away from this forum for quite awhile and just noticed mamuang’s post in my inbox. I thought I should respond to your question.

My Dew Drop was bought at Walmart of all places and was not labeled as such but had a tag of 263 pear.

It has not flowered yet so I cannot tell you what the fruit tastes like. But, if the tree has survived this brutal long winter of ours, and you are willing to graft, I can possilby provide you with a scion.

2 Likes

Thanks for getting back to me and Nice to e-meet you. I am new to backyard orchard and just bought a few apples, pear (including a dewdrop) and a peach tree. I will let you know how mine turns out if I don’t end up killing them!

4 Likes

@northof53

Glad to hear you got through winter 22 ok we are patiently waiting to hear about that delicious fruit first hand. Everything i read said it is very good!

Hello, again, I have been away from this forum for a bit, busy with bees, family health issues and all that brings. I am happy to report the Dew Drop is in bud this spring for the first time. My problem will be pollination, it is in my greenhouse and I do have 3 other pears but so far none are budding so unless I can get a hold of some pear pollen I will have to wait.

The Dew Drop on the rootstock it came with died out. I was wary that it would not survive our -40C winters even in the greenhouse. The one I grafted on Cottoneaster is healthy and thriving and I am just in the process of making the second espalier level. It is healthy to the very tips even though we did get to -40C. I was very concerned as in my greenhouse I usually bring in piles of snow to cover the ground for insulation but the weather turned very cold before the snow came and I thought the root zone would suffer.

5 Likes

@northof53

That is a very good report!

1 Like

Hi! I’m curious if anyone has tasted dewdrop yet and how it was?

2 Likes

@northof53

Ursula,

Maybe you can answer this for @JennS .

I totally missed your message! I hope you were able to get some fruits last year!! Let us know how it went and hopefully you can get a good crop this year!!

1 Like