Disease Resistant Apple Trees

@Loren – Thanks. This is an awesome resource. While I have no ambition to feed the local deer, which already eat everything in my yard / neighborhood, I have good friends in VT who are very interested in planting apple trees in nearby woods. I’ve passed the paper along.

I am a novice with almost no direct experience. I am therefore limited to what my research informs me. According to the Cummins Nursery website Dabinett is: “Very Resistant” to Fireblight. Other sources report the same. The tree is generally considered broadly disease resistant. Pomiferous indicates it is “tolerant” of fireblight.

Disease resistance doesn’t suggest immunity.

Do you have other trees around Dabinett that have resisted fireblight better?

It would be helpful for referencing to have the tables labeled. "Table 1. ", etc. For the first table I agree that having them alphabetically sorted would be convenient. I suggest that Galarina be removed from Table 1 since it is a Blue Hills trademark (I have purchased from BH and they supply quality trees). All the others varieties in Table 1 are available as scions from Fruitwood, Maple Valley, Cummins, etc.

Galarina was developed at the INRA research station in Angers, France. Consequently it could not be a Blue Hills trademark tree.

All of the growers profiled were sent an early draft and offered an opportunity to help edit. Ryan Haines the Blue Hill owner and operator and I have communicated with respect to this article.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1 Like

I can see how an alphabetically organized chart would be helpful in some contexts. I deliberately put the most disease resistant varieties at the top to highlight them.

Ok. Thanks for the feedback.

Galarina is widely available. Blue Hills is simply saying it is a trademarked variety

1 Like

Thanks. My mistake. I wasn’t reading the product description carefully.

Maybe the trademarked entries should have the TM symbol in the tables since they shouldn’t be propagated using scion wood without paying the royalty?

1 Like

It seems to me that any entity selling Galarina trees do indeed label them as TM. If the variety is only being discussed (like this thread) there is no reason to include the TM. If a person wants to propagate a TM variety for their own use, I am not sure any royalty has to be paid. If a person propagates a TM variety and sells that propagated tree using the TM name, then a royalty should be paid.

If I want to propagate Galarina and sell it under a different name, then the TM means nothing.

Proposed additional section of disease resistant apple articles:

Reliable information concerning which apple trees are resistant to summer rots is very hard to come by. For most cultivars there is no indication whatsoever of resistance to summer rots. According to an Iowa State University informational report: “there are no (rot) resistant fruit varieties” (Summer Fungal Fruit Rots and Their Management, ISU Sep 18 2020). Input from some members of the Growing Fruit online forum indicates there are some cultivars that are susceptible and others are clearly less susceptible. The anecdotal evidence then indicates there are relatively rot resistant trees. So for all who persevere to grow apple trees down in Dixie, here are a few trees that have a good common disease resistance profile that may also exhibit some resistance to summer rots.

1 Like
Summer Rot Resistant Apple Trees
Name Summer Rots Apple Scab Fire Blight Powdery Mildew Cedar Rust
Enterprise Resistant Immune Resistant Mod. Resist Resistant
Goldrush Resistant Immune Resistant Resistant Susceptible
Pristine Resistant Immune Mod. Resist Resistant Susceptible
Crimson Crisp Resistant Immune Mod. Resist Mod. Suscept. Mod. Suscept.
Yates Resistant Resistant Resistant Resistant Resistant
Campfield Resistant Resistant Resistant Resistant Resistant
Keener Seedling Resistant Resistant Resistant Resistant Resistant
Rusty Coat Resistant Resistant Resistant Resistant Resistant
Limbertwigs Resistant Resistant Resistant Resistant Resistant
2 Likes

Hunge made your bulletproof list. Does it have rot resistance?

Yes it does, it is very rot resistant. Your change looks good!

Fabulous work on this compilation; kudos. I would add: Hauer Pippin v. susceptible CAR; and Belle de Boskoop gets core rot here that completely rules it out for me but I don’t spray except for CAR on Goldrush. We should add Black Limbertwig as resistant to all diseases, as grown by me.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to assist me. I will add Black Limbertwig to disease resistant heirloom list.

1 Like

Noted Hauer Pippin is susceptible to CAR. Thanks again. I will make that addition.

seen it here on y.t that the apples were damaged by something then the rot moves in. usually in a warm wet summer.

1 Like

Good observation. I think I usually see rot after damage from an insect or a bird. But sometimes when two fruits are touching, rot passes from one to another at the point of contact. So injury doesn’t seem required.

Can others with more experience testify as to what proportion of rot damage is secondary to prior damage from insects, birds, etc.?

1 Like