Disease-tolerant late bloom cherry

So anyone have experience with disease-resistant or low care cherries?
Any suggestions?
Mid to later bloom or late frost tolerant?
Any feedback on these types:
Mesabi i believe its a hybrid.
Kansas Sweet a sweet/tart hybrid.
Surefire tart.
Balaton.
Jubileum hybrid.
Stardust sweet.
Skeena sweet.
Black Gold
White Gold.
Any feedback?
Or
Any others?

1 Like

I can confirm that Surefire does bloom later than any other stone fruit that I know of. I have Mesabi, I haven’t noticed that it blooms late, but it is not a heavy producer so I don’t pay much attention.

1 Like

I have grown Mesabi. Also agree is it not a heavy producer. Nice sized fruit however and good flavor. I did not notice any bloom time difference on my cherries and I have had North Star, Mesabi, Sure Crop and Balaton growing at same time. Did notice some differences in ripening times however.

2 Likes

For tart cherries I would also consider Montmorency. I have a Montmorency on Gisela 5. It’s very productive and produces well even in difficult years. The Balaton I have on mazzard is very unproductive and other people have also had low crop yields with Balaton.

Sweet cherries are much more difficult to grow. If you do want to try them Black Gold and White Gold are both good choices. Both of them bloom late (Black Gold is really late).

For sweet cherries I would look at this chart that details bloom times (and overlap between cultivars) as well as pollen compatibility.

https://www.grandpasorchard.com/page/_ccLib/attachments/about/GOWeb-Pollination-Swt+Cherry(2013)(Landscape).pdf

For good discussion about growing sweet cherries east of the Rockies see this thread.

2 Likes

Thank yall for the feedback!

Thanks! Since Im busting a gut to get more trees (like I need more lol) I went ahead and ordered 2 Surefire from Cummins.(2023 delivery) They sound great and maybe the latest bloom tart cherry! And disease resistance too.
I guess I will wait to add more sweet cherry since I have WhiteGold and Blackgold and Jubileum hybrid and Stella, but I see Stardust and Kansas Sweet hybrid being semi-late bloom(late for sweets similar to BlackGold) those 2 are the next ones Im after unless I hear of something better :smiley:

1 Like