DIY Solar Dehydrator

Has anyone ever built/used solar dehydrators?

I was looking at this plan, but there are many out there: http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/tools/solar-food-dehydrator-plans-zm0z14jjzmar.aspx

I like the idea that I can probably build it for next to nothing using leftovers and “junk” and it needing no power, but wonder at how effective they truly are versus just shelling out for an electric dehydrator.

My current fruit production doesn’t warrant drying, but I suspect in a few years I will need to start preserving stuff!

1 Like

In a sunny hot dry climate they work great. I do it here with nothing more than a cookie pan covered with floating row cover to keep out bugs.

In a cloudy humid climate I suspect the design would need to be better than mine.

I’m eating dried nectarines now. No preservatives added. They look good and taste great. If cut thin they dry in 2-3 sunny days or less.

Looks like a solar wax melter used in beekeeping to melt cappings and other scraps of wax. We recorded temps well over boiling in bright sun and 85-90 degree outdoor temps. Wouldn’t that cook the fruit, not dry it?

They are supposed to heat to 110-130.

You don’t want over 125F to dry fruit. More air flow will hold down the temperature. Seems to me you’d need a solar oven to reach boiling. Mine doesn’t get nearly that hot.

The vents are all adjustable, with experience I imagine one can keep the temp pretty well under control. The article says with all the vents closed it can get over 200F!