Do alpine strawberries need to be replaced?

Hello everyone,
I have a pretty large patch of white alpine strawberries. Alpines tend to grow in clumps rather than as a single set of leaves with runners. The clumping is basically the result of a bunch of new plants that are attached to each other at the base but can be easily separated into brand new plants. So given that most of the mass of the plants are new growths of the clump, do they still tend to slow down production after 3-4 years?
Thanks!

Mine are in 8" x 8" pots. I find the clumps in the pots need to be divided or replaced every 2-4 years.

2 Likes

Thank you!

i just divided my 4 year olds here and filled the hole with compost. man they took right off and look super healthy. many berries like they had the 2nd year.

1 Like

Glad to hear they bounce back so quickly! Mine are on year 2 in a highly shaded area, only gets ~2-3 hours of sun max. Even in those conditions theyre cranking out berries. They’re tough and amazing little plants.

1 Like

White alpines can also be single plants. More than one cultivar are around. Those thing spread like crazy and have become more of a weed for me. I have never had much luck with the clumping kind. I grow reds and yellows as single plants. The yellows can produce over 20 runners in a season.
On replacing I can’t answer that. I do grow musk strawberries that fruit for many years and I have never replaced them.

1 Like

the strawberry store has a extremely productive one that doesnt runner. i dont remember the name but grew 4 from seed and planted them out. i prefer the runner less ones as they produce more than the runner ones and easier to control. your musk straws have grown gangbusters and threaten to take over my honeyberries near them. many flowers so i should be able to taste them this summer.

2 Likes

treat for slugs. they love these berries.

Pineapple crush, thats the variety I grow. Very productive even in shade (as suggested on his website). That being said, I haven’t grown other alpines side by side in those conditions.

1 Like

i have pineapple crush, yellow wonder, regina, alexandria and several more i forgot the names.

I never divide mine, I just remove older plants when I got new plants, either self-seeded or rooted from the flower stalk that laid on the ground

2 Likes

I wasn’t even aware they were able to root that way. Thanks!

I was not able to make them do it when I needed it, But I found some rooted this way.

2 Likes

yep. i have all kinds of babys from missed berries and the ones i dont bury with mulch make a new plant.

2 Likes