Do crabapple grafts work with OK 'regular' apples?

A banal question maybe - Do crab scions graft just as well to another apple tree (or vice versa)? I guess as they’re both Malus but ~different species it’d be slightly less than between ‘regular’ or crab eh? I guess the answer’s yes (in fact my neighbor’s old, ignored apple appears to have both), but - ?

I had a Wickson on order but learned it’s unavailable, but still want to try it, so re-figuring what to get instead that I can graft that (and others) to.

I’ve got limited home orchard space (6 apples) but so many I want to try!

1 Like

Yes, crabapples have always been one of the best ways to pollinate other apples because they usually have a much longer flowering period. The pioneers that came west used them in all of the heritage orchards that I have visited. So I suggest picking your tallest growing scaffolds to add crabs so that the pollen can reach all areas of your trees.
Dennis
Kent, wa

3 Likes

Crab Apples are defined as any apple under 2" in diameter. Not any particular genus or subspecies. Compatibility is good amongst most selections under Malus that I have never heard of incompatible. What I have heard of is the root stock influencing the flavor of the scion. YOU can discuss that here Crabapple (and other) Rootstock’s Influence on Flavor - Cider - Growing Fruit

Malus domestica are complex hybrids of Malus species.

We have had good success grafting on Dolgo crab for a root stock in this part of the U.P…

My Geneva crab, Dolgo crab, and Chestnut crab had really small amounts of growth compared to regular non crabs, but that might be anecdotal at best. They were all on different trees, but the same MM111 rootstock. I’m curious as well.

I should have a bit of Kerr crabapple scion wood available this year. It is heart and seems pretty disease and bug resistant, for an apple that is. Since it comes from a Dolgo/Haralson cross it is quite cold hardy and will probably laugh at your winters. Seems to do fine here in VA as well and is a nice sweet/tart couple of bites.