Do forest trees really 'talk' through underground fungi?

Absolutely yes; I’ve read all about it. I began 20-years ago.

mycorrhizal communication

2 Likes

To my knowledge, no. My observation was a digression and was not meant to argue one way or the other about the larger issue.

Issues such as these are worthwhile and interesting, but in my mental filing system they end up with myriad others in the classification “conclusions withheld pending more investigation”. It’s a category that includes the greater part of the world in my case!

3 Likes

This is a great article because it is highly specific
Mycorrhizal Relationships - Muir Woods National Monument (U.S. National Park Service). That said you can read something into this not true which has happened. Articles cemented in truth become misleading when taken out of context. I dont agree with everything said there by people who read this article. I do agree with most parts of the article and they are the experts. This part is definately true and much more " Redwoods and mycorrhizal fungi like this coral fungus, both benefit from their mutualistic relationship" and thats what we are pointing out are the specifics. They say “There are many mycorrhizal species in a redwood forest, like this Fly agaric.” Which is right. There are many relationships we only think we understand. This constitutes a relationship “The fungi will combine their mycelium with the tree’s roots. As a result, the fungi make it easier for the trees to get more nutrients and moisture from the soil and the fungi get access to sugars from the trees.” The article posted is good but is not meant to apply to everything else not said.

1 Like

I read that section, but I think you’re somewhat overstating their position. They merely found that the studies they reviewed were inconclusive on that point (whether mycorrhizal networks facilitate nutrient exchange), they did not find the hypothesis was false.

3 Likes

@swincher

That is what i think @Richard is trying to say the science does not back their position well enough to make some of the claims these articles are making. It is like lying by ommision of complete truth. As i said in most articles, i dont think that is their intention, but @Richard is right if they are selling a product become suspicious. Think everyone agrees for the most part but the articles are mostly vague and misleading. Read a book that is highly controversial once called the secret life of plants which i totally disagreed with mostly. Was fascinated by the material and added it to my collection of books. Did not add it as a resource as much as a reference to the works of others not widely known. In that book are studies of plants reactions to sounds etc… They might someday find certain noise impacts other things Noise Pollution | Environmental Pollution Centers . It is a stretch that the book tried to make about plants. Plants may be susceptible to microwave communication thats true but likely not sounds like the book tried to describe. Microwaves cook food and we use them to communicate. More specific studies are needed.

1 Like

Absolutely 100% agree with this statement. I just meant that they reviewed a lot of studies and they didn’t conclude the studies were all flawed in their particular findings, only that the results shouldn’t be generalized to the point where forest management decisions are based on those studies. Here’s from the abstract:

The claims that CMNs are widespread in forests and that resources are transferred through CMNs to increase seedling performance are insufficiently supported because results from field studies vary too widely, have alternative explanations or are too limited to support generalizations.

The “field studies vary too widely” problem is something you’d expect when people are trying to research something really complicated and poorly understood, and it means future field studies need to include other data and controls to figure out why results vary so much.

The “alternative explanations” problem is the absolute best problem any scientific study can have, because it should be easy to construct new studies to see which explanation is better supported.

The “too limited to support generalizations” problem is a tacit admission that some of the studies they reviewed seemed to support the hypothesis in at least very limited contexts, but more research should be done to see if those results can be generalized.

2 Likes

One stumbling block I see in many of the comments here is that the anthropomorphic concept of a mindful individual does not map well to trees – or higher order plants in general.

3 Likes

This is really the core issue, yes. I think any discussion of mycorrhizal networks should not fall into the trap of trying to ascribe to plants intention, goals and thoughts. But linguistically, it’s a very easy trap to fall into. See, e.g.:

:wink:

3 Likes

If you want to learn more about the topic, this article is one example of the series

Mycorrhizal Networks Facilitate Tree Communication, Learning, and Memory

• [Suzanne W. Simar]

These books are also part of a larger series

These are all part of this series
https://www.springer.com/series/8094/books

I’ve found even if i dont agree with everything, i can learn alot by reading more. There is much more Effects of plant neighborhood on arbuscular mycorrhizal fungal attributes in afforested zones - ScienceDirect
This is fascinating
" Forest Ecology and Management

Volume 422, 15 August 2018, Pages 253-262

Effects of plant neighborhood on arbuscular mycorrhizal fungal attributes in afforested zones

Author links open overlay panelXuedong Chen b 1, Ming Tang a 1, Xinlu Zhang a, Chantal Hamel c, Shuo Liu a, Yandan Huo a, Min Sheng a d e

Show more

Cite

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2018.04.015Get rights and content

Abstract

Arbuscular mycorrhizal (AM) fungi are an important determinant of plant performance, and conversely their community composition greatly depends on host plants and their neighbors. Understanding how the interaction of host plants and their neighbors affects AM fungal communities in afforested zones is of primary interest in forest ecology. We sampled roots and rhizosphere soils in monocultures and mixtures of black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia) and oriental arborvitae (Platycladus orientalis ) to define AM fungal colonization level, spore density and communities using 454 sequencing. Neighboring oriental arborvitae only affected AM fungal community in black locust rhizosphere. For oriental arborvitae, however, growing in a mixture with black locust changed AM fungal colonization, sporulation and communities in the roots and rhizosphere. In particular, neighboring black locust modified the rhizosphere- and root-inhabiting AM fungal pool through improving soil NO3-N and water contents and reducing soil catalase activity, and the modification in the root AM fungal resource, especially the Glomus and Rhizophagus genera, further affected AM fungal colonization and sporulation under oriental arborvitae. All the results presented here suggest that both hosts and neighbors can largely affect AM fungal attributes mainly through changing soil nutrient levels and enzyme activity, whereas the reciprocal effects are not always symmetric."

1 Like

Procreation by a plant is certainly a purposeful action whereas natural adjacency grafts are coincidental. Further, rhizomal networks involve far more integrated biological function than adjacency grafts.

1 Like

… is an example of fanciful publications in horticulture. There are plenty of them.

1 Like

I think neither is purposeful, both of them exist because they provided a benefit to plants, or failed to cause harm, and therefore have been naturally selected as traits those plants exhibit.

2 Likes

@swincher
I believe your sentence is self-contradicting and consequently contains no truth.

@Richard

As we know black locust is a nitrogen fixer. What i find fascinating is the changes in the soil microbes that always exist when a new tree is introduced.

1 Like

I knew this article would be controversial, but not in the some of the manners demonstrated so far. I welcome further discussion although personally I’m done with the topic.

1 Like

I’m merely taking issue with calling any plant trait “purposeful.” That word is anthropomorphizing a process that is by definition not purposeful but random.

2 Likes

@Richard

Think it was good you brought the topic up. Think, for the most part, everyone largely agrees with your original post. I’m glad you posted it. In college, many years ago, we discussed many of these topics, and if it is any consolation, it always went the same way. We know experts dont agree, and every one of them wants to sell their next book, classes , or products. We are far from completely understanding these processes.

2 Likes

Dr. Paul Staments was one of the 1st. to suggest this. i own all his books. another in depth discussion on soil biology by Dr. Bryant Redhawk over on permies.com. is worthwhile reading. its also got the insight of a native American in it, which also fascinates me. they were the 1st to suggest everything is intertwined in nature. long before science suggested it.

3 Likes

@steveb4

When elms die, it is some of the best morel hunting around sometimes. Morels will be popping soon. Understanding relationships of some trees and fungi is beneficial for more than fruit.

2 Likes

In my area it’s the Pitch Pine, Pinus Rigida, forest referred to as the Pine Barrens.

3 Likes