Do nectarines and cherry/plums hybrids require a cross pollinator?

Grafted trees are so cheap here already, and my graft attempt has failed in the past. I’m not really crazy about spray necessary trees anyway. If these won’t work as it is, I think I’ll cut them down and put in kiwi‘s or something.
Does going around with a paintbrush or something on the blossoms produce more nectarines?

Santa Rosa was the plum i saw recommended as a cross pollinator. Maybe worth getting one this year just to see how they do next year. Again not crazy about the spraying though.
Is there anything else other than a plum that would work as a cross pollinater for this cherry plum hybrid? How about cherries or apricots or something?

Usually the wind does the job,but sometimes I will use my fingers.

If there really is Cherry as part of the makeup,then I suppose that will work.These Plum/Cherry or Pluerries are fairly new,so they need more experimentation.bb

Iiuc, it would need to be a sweet cherry, not the semi-sour type?

From what I’ve read,sour Cherries can pollinate the sweet ones.bb

I’m having trouble reading some of the sales pages, but I believe it says it’s self fertile, but will produce better with a cross pollinator? Cherry tree sounds good as a cross pollinator. If I recall correctly the sour cherries are much easier to growth than the sweet cherries? We had a sour cherry here years ago and it produced very well with few pests.

I am in zone 6 a so I don’t know if it will be the same for you.

Here’s something to think about. I use Nadia, a cherry plum, as an example because your mystery hybrid is likely to be similar to Nadia. My Nadia is blooming now with all other Japanese plums.

My sweet cherry are not even close to bloom.

If you choose to plant a cherry (sweet or sour) in hope to cross pollinate your hybrid, you may run into this issue.

I would go with Japanese plum, not a cherry because of the timing of bloom. I do not know what cross pollinate my Nadia as I have many J plum grafted nearby.

That’s a good point. But somehow I think the cherry trees and plum trees blossom around the same time here. I’ll have to double check that.

While I have your guys’ attention, I also have a granny Smith tree that’s about to blossom. Iiuc, no cross pollinator required? But does better with one??

I sent a picture of Bio Cherry to a friend who lives in Macau and he said it’s a sweet cherry x plum hybrid created in Japan, but the fruit it’s not very good. One of the parents is a red-leaved plum tree. And the tree is similar to Hollywood plum.

2 Likes

Wow good detective work!

I was hoping to pick up a Cross pollinator compatible cherry tree tonight at the garden center. If I recall correctly sweet cherries are a lot of trouble compared to sour cherries?

There are several possible matching cherry varieties at the garden center. I found one that defiantly blooms at the same time as this hybrid, and apparently ripens late may- early June, Is disease resistant, 11-12 brix, and self fertile. The photo of the cherries looks like almost leathery skin? But different than the sour cherries I grew before.

Worth a shot?

1 Like

So even with bloom time ok, the cherries may not work?

Plums such as Hollywood do work I found out.

I don’t know of anyone who has tried to pollinate with other than Plums.Why not experiment,if nothing else,there should be a crop of Cherries.bb

1 Like

That makes more sense then pollinating one another. Yes it could happen, I grow the nectaplum so it is possible. Fall Fiesta pluot includes plum, cherry, peach and nectarine in its parentage.

Thanks guys. Ya, it’s just the old issue of space and time. I’ve got a lot of both invested with no fruit to show for it so far.

If it’s possible to find some local growers and ask what fruits well for them,could be a way to go.bb

Most new fruitlets showing some damage like this. Not sure if it’s from these guys, a lot of them on the tree. Thanking to cut this tree down next year and just put Keewee‘s in or something instead.

Half the chum tree suddenly wilted and died, while the other half is ok. Seems to be spreading. Any ideas?

1 Like