Do you grow anything that you don't like to eat?

I don’t mind the taste of tomatoes too much but for some reason I’ve never really liked them. As I’ve gotten older I’ve noticed that I get some minor skin flushing when I eat tomatoes or tomato sauce, which I think is my body’s way of telling me not to eat them. I have never cared for peppers at all, although I like the spiciness associated with the hot ones. I grow both because everyone else eats them. I don’t eat che fruit but grow the tree anyway because it’s a very pretty and very tough ornamental. I don’t eat guomis very much but I like the plants and others also occasionally eat the fruit.

I am growing older and that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
I am growing fatter and that weighs heavily on my Mind.
I have been growing a beard for over 30 years, and admit once in a while I chew on my mustache a little but not when anyone’s looking

8 Likes

Not sure if I will like these but I’m planting two Goji berry plants.

I grow Cornelian Cherries even though I think they are foul.
I have eaten them ripe, made jam, even picked them unripe and made olives.
I still grow them for the birds.

I don’t like raw tomatoes, but I absolutely love growing them, and I do love lots of things using them (spaghetti, pizza, lasagna, chili, etc.). So I give away most of the cherry tomatoes, and a selection of the other varieties I grow, and then cook down whatever is left into paste and freeze it. Best tasting tomato paste ever! And I think my dog would be heartbroken if I didn’t grow tomatoes. He loves them! Picks them right off the vine. I think Japanese Black Trifele and Chuck’s Yellow must be his absolute favorites – a couple of years ago he ate every single tomato from both plants. It’s a good thing he’s cute.

I’m also not wild about peppers, but again I love to grow them. I do love the smell, and I’ll freeze or dry small amounts for cooking, but most I give away.

Cliantro – I’m with the people who think it tastes like soap. Yuck! My sister loves it, but she grows her own, so I can just stay away from it now.

1 Like

Beets. I love the taste, but wow, do they ever upset my stomach! Including the yellows.

I’ve grown bell peppers and I hate to eat them. They taste bitter, acrid, and have no redeeming qualities. I can tolerate them if they are cooked down in foods but in the raw state or slight cooked I hate them. Nothing destroys a pizza faster than bell peppers. That being said, I like a lot of hot chili peppers like Jalopeno, Serrano, Hatch, etc.

1 Like

Calves liver

2 Likes

Squash and most cucurbits (except cukes). I grow them because…that’s what gardeners do, duh, but they need doctoring for me to desguise the taste. I give them away and feel relieved that I don’t have to waste them. This year I am OVER IT. Not doin’ it. Just doin’ Persian cukes for the g-kids and a few cukes for garlic pickles. :blush:

zucchini, other than for chocolate cake I don’t see the charm in them. Sort of like Tofu a filler but not much on their own.

2 Likes

Oops what I grow! Radishes.

Recipe?

I’m with you guys on zucchini and summer squash. They just don’t taste that great and need a lot of doctoring to make them enjoyable. We through them on the grill with some olive oil and salt and pepper and they aren’t too bad. A local restaurant breads them and fries them and they are delicious that way but at that point they are no longer a healthy food. My mom used to take zucchini and make bread from it and you would never know you were eating zucchini. Tasted more like banana bread. I used to work with a guy that would bring these huge zucchinis to work and give them away. It was like a badge of honor to him that they were so big but what he didn’t realize is that the bigger zucchini get the worse they are to eat.

2 Likes

Sautéed onions, salt, pepper, squash and add eggs, very delicious.

1 Like

Certainly one important aspect of a recipe is texture, but when you add the flavor of squash along with its texture, you have to add the disguise. Tofu, not so much, LOL. Onions, S&P isn’t enough for me or my kids. Now lots of chocolate will do it and note the recipe calls for 4 1 oz squares of chocolate! I used to make that by their request for their birthday. Now none of us has much of a sweet tooth so I haven’t made it in forever.

1 Like

Zucchini Chocolate Cake
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 cup butter
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups grated zucchini
1/2 cup milk
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a large bowl Mix butter and sugar till smooth, beat in eggs add vanilla and zucchini. Mix in dry ingredients alternating with milk. Pour into a greased bundt pan and bake at 350 for 1 hour.
There are lots of other recipes that are just as good on the internet.

2 Likes

There is the official -National Sneak Some Zucchini Into Your Neighbour’s Porch Day- on August 8 th.

Wow, sounds good!

I’ve enjoyed this thread, and I think I waste more time on things I don’t eat -or eat much- than most of you. That is because I not only grow quite a bit that I don’t care for, but I don’t even have family members who I do it for. My list of things I grow but rarely eat and don’t much enjoy are:

1. Tomatoes- and I grow a lot. I like them on burgers and BLT’s and that’s about it. Never have understood how people can enjoy raw sliced tomatoes (with or without salt)!
  2. Egg Plants - I grow them every single year and haven’t eaten more than 3 in the last 5 years. But they look really neat, blooms are pretty, etc.
    3.) Hot Peppers - Grow them every year, almost never even pick them! Same with wax peppers, banana peppers, and a couple others. But I do grow and eat TONS of bell peppers of every color.
  3. Apples! I know several of you just gasped and decided I must be crazy. I do eat a few apples and use some in deserts, but as unbelievable as it sounds, I’m not much of an apple fan.
  4. Bartlett pears and similar ones - this isn’t as shocking as the apple thing. I enjoy good pears and eat a lot of them. But I have a Bartlett and Moonglow and Kieffer and don’t really care for them. Yet I leave them in place year after year because I just like to grow them. They are very productive and I just like to see them grow.
3 Likes

For some of us the act of growing is a rewarding venture, the eating is a bonus.

2 Likes