Do you grow anything that you don't like to eat?

A friend of mine eats his tomatoes peeled, sliced with suger sprinkled on them instead of salt.

3 Likes

Hmm, never tried them with sugar. I’ll give that a try this year. Reminds me of the great debate between those who put salt in grits vs sugar. Sugar for me! :wink:

1 Like

It was how his grandmother fixed them when he was a boy. She was Polish , maybe it is a regional thing. I like salt and pepper and have tried sugar too, I like it both ways . But in my opinion it’s hard to mess up a really good tomatoe.

2 Likes

The maternal side of my family is Swedish and sugar was used.I’m not sure if it is a cultural thing.Maybe somebody tried it and liked how it cut the acid a little. Brady

1 Like

Wow- I didn’t know there were so many other people growing tomatoes who don’t eat them. I grow them for others, mostly my wife. Same for basil. I’m not fond of the smell of both plants. Cilantro is even worse, to the point that I’ve refused to grow it again. You’d think I was going through decontamination at a nuclear plant, after working in the garden :slight_smile: Even so, there is still a satisfaction in growing them.

I love eating potatoes though, so that is what I plant the most. This year I planted enough that I’m still eating them now. If I had more room, I’d do plenty of sweet corn and popcorn too, but those are the only “vegetables” I’ve found tasty.

1 Like

Me too.I knew a Vietnamese lady and she made me Pho noodle that I had for the first time and it was loaded with Cilantro.It was so overwhelming that I won’t eat the stuff now. Brady

1 Like

Dandelions…

2 Likes

So have you tried them dried, roasted and made into a tea? Just kidding.

Interesting response to tomatoes amongst growers here. I wonder if that is why I’ve read that so many folks grew the yellow tomatoes for themselves and gave away or sold the red ones. Curious.

i love tomatoes! i grew 10 last year and had heavy yields. couldn’t keep up with the production. wish i grew more varieties as some of the varieties i chose weren’t that tasty.

last year papalo was one i grew that i didn’t eat much of. it’s only good on certain things.

Ditto on Cilantro That stuff tastes aweful. One Mexican restaurant uses so much Cilantro in their salsa I refuse to eat there. That taste stays in your mouth for days.
Another thing I grow that I will not eat is pears. To me they are way too gritty. I grow them for my family but I will not eat them.

I also agree on cilantro. I can handle very small amounts but the Mexican restaurants tend to go way overboard. To me it taste caustic or like dish soap.

3 Likes

I like some hot peppers in foods. I also like the different flavors of the different kinds. But for me, one hot pepper in a dish goes a long way. So I give way more away than I can eat. God bless.

Marcus

1 Like

Exactly what it tastes like to me too. soap. I’m glad I am not the only one that thinks it tastes like that.

1 Like

Same here. I think it’s genetic, so some people got it some don’t.

1 Like

OUCH… we love it in our house. My daughter (6) will go get more to add to salsa. I grow it all summer. I’ve read how its a love/hate thing. A quick little thing about cilantro…its a chelator …meaning it can pull heavy metals from your body…which in the case of Iron is probably a good thing for most (unless you are anemic)==although if you give blood…that works too.

I’m not a huge garlic fan (and i grow a ton of it). I like it cooked or in stuff…but plain…that stuff will make you breath fire all day. I go very lightly on garlic in most recipes. I watch these cooking shows and they are tossing whole bulbs into dishes and i’m thinking yikes.

There does seem to be some evidence that there is a genetic component: http://www.nature.com/news/soapy-taste-of-coriander-linked-to-genetic-variants-1.11398

It tastes somewhat soapy to me as well. The article mentions that genetics may just be a minor component though. Even though I don’t like a lot of it, salsa without cilantro just doesn’t taste right to me.

1 Like

These cooking shows ( and cooking magazines as well) are great at using certain products as the “new hot” item for a while. One magazine or cooking show will feature a certain herb, accent flavor, etc. and they all jump on the bandwagon. Every recipe will feature this item. Like the designers all deciding what the 'Color of the year" is going to be. They all do it. It was cilantro for a while, then jalapeño peppers, srircha sauce, etc. I noticed that garlic was being way over used as well. Garlic everything, even ice cream. Your wife has to REALLY love you to put up with that coming from your breath all day and night.

1 Like

I agree in that I do not like tomatoes by themselves. I do like them to make salsa however so they do get used and I do grow them.

zucchini, I always put in a plant, heaven knows why, maybe it is the satisfaction of being able to grow something HUGE. I don’t like the taste or texture.

2 Likes

Yes, Beets and Pears! I do not like the taste or consistency of beets. Pears are like eating pieces of gravel with the gritty flesh. I grew both because the other members of my family like them.