Does anyone grow the Plumblee Pear?

I’d go ahead and graft. My FB was caused by using metal limb
spreaders which caused wounds in the trunk. Once the FB got
in the trunk the tree was toast. It’s a good pear and a heavy fruiter.

2 Likes

@rayrose do you want me to send you a stick of plumblee to graft again?

Clark that’s very generous of you and I appreciate it very much.
Is there anything I can send you? Or let me send you postage.
Ray Abdalla
721 Beacon Hill Rd.
Columbia, SC 29210

2 Likes

No worries Ray I don’t want anything in return you’ve been very generous with me. You sent me plumblee originally and I appreciate it. Thank you!

1 Like

How is the taste or grittiness. I hate gritty pears.

This year my plumblee backup graft has blooms. Very thankful for backup grafts because the tree was broken off during a storrm. The hard part is figuring out the pears you love and then growing more of those. The reason i say that is imagine if a pear like clapp’s favorite takes 10-14 years to produce on callery rootstock do we have enough life to figure out what pears we love ? Im careful and graft in multiple places because the clock is against me with pears!

2 Likes

I lost my patomac graft to drying winter winds but luckily I had a back up on the old franken tree, so i regraftef on ohxf 87 this week

1 Like

Potomac is blooming as well for me! You will love that pear @Derby42!

1 Like

I have it grafted on three different trees now, looking forward to that one . I’m a big fan of a perfectly ripe green de’anjou and I hope it is similar

1 Like

Century Farm Orchard did have that pear available. David ( owner) would give you an honest answer if you have questions about that pear.

1 Like

Got a few this year. Maybe could have stayed on the tree a week longer but I didn’t want the squirrels/birds to get them. Looks like a Keiffer, but less grit, not so hard. Tastes similar to my Lecontes. Pear rust affected it a little more than my Keiffers but not too many fruit were affected.

Plumblee on left, Keiffer on right

4 Likes

@Bhawkins

Yes that’s it I’m not sure if I still grow it or it may have been lost in our last big storm that tree took a beating in that wind Here comes the 2019 pear harvest!

1 Like

How does Plumbee taste?

1 Like

The branch didn’t produce when I worked,where the tree is.Now,the place is a storage yard for a company that works on road projects.It’s not too far from me and will be checked to see this year.Hopefully the squirrels will stay away.

1 Like

I believe Century Farm Orchards has the Plumblee Pear. David Vernon may give you more insight about this pear since he grows them there and it is more of a Southern pear.

@rayrose has grown it and I’ve grown it. I’m going to check if I still have some plumblee. Taste is never good here the first year or two. Don’t recall harvesting plumblee but I recall it fruiting as shown in the picture above. That photo was taken off a large tree in my backyard orchard. We’ve had some strong storms here.

Plumblee looks like it has some Asian pear genetics which is I guess is why it can be eating straight from tree?

1 Like

I’d it has about the same genetics as a LeConte, but tastes slightly better. I eat Leconte’s & Keiffers straight from the tree.

2 Likes

@wfwalton

More of a cooking pear than anything. The same as many southern pears it could be eaten off the tree.

1 Like

I grow Plumblee as well. I haven’t had fruit yet. I didn’t get the chance this year yet to see if it set pears. I would think it should set this year, if not next year for certain. It has been a clean grower for me so far.

1 Like