Does anyone grow the Plumblee Pear?

@Bhawkins

Yes that’s it I’m not sure if I still grow it or it may have been lost in our last big storm that tree took a beating in that wind Here comes the 2019 pear harvest!

1 Like

How does Plumbee taste?

1 Like

The branch didn’t produce when I worked,where the tree is.Now,the place is a storage yard for a company that works on road projects.It’s not too far from me and will be checked to see this year.Hopefully the squirrels will stay away.

1 Like

I believe Century Farm Orchards has the Plumblee Pear. David Vernon may give you more insight about this pear since he grows them there and it is more of a Southern pear.

@rayrose has grown it and I’ve grown it. I’m going to check if I still have some plumblee. Taste is never good here the first year or two. Don’t recall harvesting plumblee but I recall it fruiting as shown in the picture above. That photo was taken off a large tree in my backyard orchard. We’ve had some strong storms here.

Plumblee looks like it has some Asian pear genetics which is I guess is why it can be eating straight from tree?

1 Like

I’d it has about the same genetics as a LeConte, but tastes slightly better. I eat Leconte’s & Keiffers straight from the tree.

2 Likes

@wfwalton

More of a cooking pear than anything. The same as many southern pears it could be eaten off the tree.

1 Like

I grow Plumblee as well. I haven’t had fruit yet. I didn’t get the chance this year yet to see if it set pears. I would think it should set this year, if not next year for certain. It has been a clean grower for me so far.

1 Like