Does anyone know where to order g890 apple rootstock this time of year or does anyone have an extra 5 g890 rootstocks they would be willing to sale?

Does anyone know where to order g890 apple rootstock this time of year or does anyone have an extra 5 g890 rootstocks they would be willing to sale?
They are out of stock every where. I have EMLA 106 ordered but from what I’m reading the g890 may be a better choice. I’m going to graft a unknown variety I found and plant in my backyard zone 6b WV. I would like a free standing tree around 60% to 70% the size of a standard tree

2 Likes

It appears Grandpa’s Orchard still has it.

https://www.grandpasorchard.com/Tree/Malus-Geneva-890-clonal-rootstock

Note- The shipping calculator doesn’t work right for rootstock only orders.

From Grandpa’s Orchard website-

“SHIPPING CHARGES NOTE: We will usually adjust your shipping charges when ordering rootstock by itself as our shipping calculator does not calculate correctly for rootstock. When ordered with trees, we can ship in the same box for no extra charges. When ordered by itself, it may ship for less. If you have questions, contact us.”

https://www.grandpasorchard.com/Tree-Type/Rootstock-for-Backyard-Nurserymen

If it ends up you can’t get G890 I would look and see if anyone has M7 or G969. They would be good substitutes for G890.

2 Likes

I like grandpasorchard i havent had a problem with them. Grandma Lee is awesome to deal with on the phone and very nice.

1 Like

Thats why i waited to order from there the shipping was really expensive but if it gets adjusted i will

Thanks how much was shipping for rootstock?

1 Like

I got around 50 rootstocks and it said the shipping was 76 dollars, but when they charged my card my total ended up being 40 dollars cheaper

1 Like

M7 is not as precocious as G890…not close. In other respects, it possibly is a substitute. I have both…but no G890 over 4 years old.

Grandpa’s doesn’t give a shipping date, but the site seems to indicate the roots are still in ground (in a state that is still frozen).

I’ve already got 50 roots, and 33 more are expected by end of March.
Might be much later getting them from Grandpa?

1 Like

Im supposed to receive my order from grandpas today. Im in southern Illinois zone 6b

1 Like

Good to hear. Guess they got 'em dug in Jan or Feb then.

1 Like