Does Anyone Recognize This Crab

Orchard replied to me. Apparently it doesn’t look like any they were familiar with. Now my mission is to get out there around the same time and hunt for it in person. Those transcendent are the closest looking of all I’ve seen.

1 Like

Can you elaborate on this variety? I’ve not heard of it and neither has Google

1 Like

I should have typed Wickson. Senior fart. Crab-apple - Wickson - tasting notes, identification, reviews

1 Like

I’ve seen this stated somewhere before.

I have a “Whitney” from Stark Bros. that is definitely not the same “Whitney” we had when I was a kid. I have no idea where Dad got that tree from, but I’d guess Jung’s (we were close to a Jung’s store).
The Whitney I have ripens in mid-late September and is more tart/sub-acid that sweet. The Whitney I remember from childhood ripened in August/early September and was more sweet than tart. I’d like to have the Whitney I remember from childhood, but don’t know where to find one.

Sorry to hear that your search forked in the wrong direction. If I can get some scions in the future and get better about heading off pests and disease maybe this mystery crab could be it. This hobby has a long time table and is a lot more involved than I initially thought.

1 Like