Does it make sense to overwinter sweet potted pepper?

I took my potted pepper inside before the first frost because it had a lot of green peppers on it. They all got ripe(though not sized up well) and now, when we finished all of them, the plant starts to flower again. The plant looks healthy enough for indoor plant. I usually plant one pepper some when in Jan, so by the time I can take it outside it starts to produce right away. But I only can have ONE large plant in the house, otherwise I will not get enough space for my starters later. So my question is - does it make sense to keep the last year potted pepper plant till next summer or it is better to plant a new one? I never was able to keep my pepper over winter before - aphids and spider mites overwhelmed me and I let it go in two weeks after bringing it in. But this year is somehow different.

1 Like

I always keep potted peppers and overwinter them indoor. Peppers take a while to grow to the point that they start to flower. Overwinter potted peppers start to produce peppers much sooner. Another advantage is I donā€™t have to buy another pepper plants. But I usually overwinter them in the basement

2 Likes

Is production level same as for a new plant letā€™s say in the mid of the season?

you are probably aware of the following but just in caseā€”many peppers are actually ā€˜short-livedā€™ perennials. Some can live and be productive for more than 7 years, but usually start declining in production after 3 or 4. The tiny-fruited ones seem to live the longest, but i donā€™t have enough data. The good thing about them is that they can survive in low-light conditions so can easily be grown indoors.
my take is that if your is ~2 yrs old or younger, then probably worth keeping indoors since it already has a ā€˜head startā€™
below is a couple of volunteer pepper seedlings that germinated around october last yr. Serrano or bell pepper seeds probably got mixed with the bokashi compost i use to grow jujube seeds on. Sad the juju seeds didnā€™t germinate, but the stowaway peppers did, so these earned their place in this rusty can and now growing indoors, awaiting their release to the great outdoors come spring :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, yes, I know they are warm climate perennials, but I was not sure if fruiting declines after first year and also how the pot affects the plant. It is probably root bound already in its pot. I think next season I will plant one in the middle of the summer into root pruning pot. That will survive betterā€¦ IF I will be able to fight aphids and mites :smile:.

2 Likes

Depends on how you take care of it. I didnā€™t see much difference in production between current year to the year before (I only should compare itself in different year). But they have longer overall production length. By the time I move them out, say mid of May, most them already have flower buds, or have flower buds shortly after. But most seedings still have to wait for another month

2 Likes

Thanks! I start mine pretty early from seeds, so when I plant them out they already have flowers if not green fruit. But also you overwinter your plants in basement, mine is near south-east balcony door in 70F room with supplemental led lights set to ā€œFloweringā€. So I sure need to try it at least once to keep it till spring. Will see!

if it is big-fruited bell pepper, yes, fruiting may start declining after a year, but should still produce big ones as @IL847 mentioned ā€¦ Smaller-fruited ones(serranoā€™s,tiny sweet peppers, etc) seem to have longer productive years. In the tropics i had a >10 yr old tiny-fruited(but ultra spicy) pepper that was considerably productive even on its 10th year, and would probably have continued producing if didnā€™t get smushed by a delivery truckā€¦ Old peppers look like tiny trees as they get older. Their foliage tend to get smaller and the trunks/stems get craggy and weathered.

2 Likes