Don't forget the road side fruit stands

The road side stands have some real bargains if you know the right places to look and if you don’t mind the work. Picked up 40 zucchini field grown and rough, half a dozen pound tomatoes, a cucumber, 3 heads of cabbage, couple of jalapeños, half a dozen potatoes, 5 lbs of misshapen egg plants, a big box of Georgia peaches, and a muskmelon for $10. It’s tempting to drive by in this 100 degree heat but it’s the perfect time to stop. Once in awhile I see small watermelon for $1 in river bottom country.

3 Likes

I forgot I got several big sweet peppers with the deal.

1 Like

Now that you’ve bought them, I hope you use them in the kitchen. $10 is a bargain for that amount of veggies if they get eaten. Otherwise, it’s very expensive for the amount of finished compost it can make. Been there; done that when I’ve gotten too busy to follow up on my good intentions.

3 Likes

We already froze or cooked 90% of them but we won’t buy the bargains again next week. It is a lot of work!

1 Like

40 zucchini ! What do you do with that many zucchini?

Fry them with onions! I’ve been eating 10-12 a day. You can see they are pretty rough.

3 Likes

Wow, that’s a lot of zucchini to eat in one day! I like zucchini too, sautéed zucchini, grilled zucchini, zucchini bread…

1 Like

Our local veggie stand is selling all kinds of goodies now. Last week they had yellow tomatoes, which I think is my favorite. Today we picked up about a dozen cukes, more 'maters, and some onions. They also have fruit available, including some Georgia peaches fresh off the truck today for about $2 a pound, so I had to pick some of those up. You could get a box of them for $18, but don’t remember what size the box was. Maybe it was a half-bushel box? About the size of a old copy paper box. They even had apples, but doubt they’re local.

Our neighbor about a mile from us, has been keeping us stocked with fresh eggs. The wife picked up 3 dozen from her a couple days ago, and the best thing about it is that they’re free! Her hens are really pumping out the eggs, like 2 dozen a day. We’re hoping to get some chickens of our own, but the old coop needs some work.

3 Likes

Yep! Sometimes I say to my wife, we should just take the food out of the grocery bags and throw it right in the trash. That way we’ll free up more 'fridge space for a couple of weeks. ;-(

2 Likes

Here is the easy way to enjoy zucchini. Cut it into long slices about 1/4 inch or slightly thicker. Cover with olive oil and add salt and pepper. Place on gas or charcoal grill. Works well with any food on a grill. Very tasty and healthy at the same time.

1 Like

Sounds delicious but I kind of burned myself out on squash and egg plant this week!

egg plant grill great too!

1 Like

Yah, that’s how my husband grills zucchini and eggplants. Delicious.

1 Like