Dormant Spray and Copper Spray

Seems like a good plan to me Susu. Of course, there are many here more experienced than I who may know better. I sprayed copper yesterday because I have a nice week long stretch of dry weather this week. I may have jumped the gun a little since highs are in the high 40’s though.

1 Like

I’m new to this, but in my reading, I thought you either use oil or Nufilm (not both). Same with copper and sulfur, not both together. Either copper with oil or a sticker or apply lime sulfur with oil in separate applications at least 10 days apart? Lime sulfur workS better with oil vs Nufilm? Am I right on any of this? I’d love to mix them all together in 1 application if possible.

If it is sprayed during dormancy, oil can be used with almost anything inclduding copper.

During growing season when leaves are out, I don’t use copper at all. Some people do but you have to adjust the rate. I also do not use oil during growing season. If you do, make sure it’s all season oil or summer oil and look at the label.

It depends on what fruit trees and what kind of pests or diseases you try to get rid of or prevent.

I, too, want the most convenient way of spraying everything at once. In reality, that does not always work as tree develop at different stages may require different sprays.

3 Likes

OK. I’m feeling like Alice in Wonderland . . . tumbling down a rabbit hole with my sprayer in hand! :persevere:

So . . . I decided to make us a chart. JAN - spray dormant oil on this and that MAR - spray this with that ETC. But - like mamuang says - everything develops at different stages. If we have more than a few trees . . . . . it gets maddening. And for a novice, like me . . . confusing as hell!

I feel that we may have to just camp out in the orchard, cuddled up to our sprayer!

I would just like to try the most simple - but reasonably effective - way to spray.
Is there such a method?

2 Likes

Monoculture - grow only one type of tree

2 Likes

I was reading the label today on Bonide Copper fungicide. It seems to be that bu there own admission that they are repackaging and reselling Cueva. So if someone desires Cueva it can be bought this way in smaller quantities.

1 Like

Interesting. What happened to the Serenade in the red bottle, that used to be available to backyard orchardists? Anyone know? I want to use it on my pomegranates this year . . . and had to buy the gigantic ‘pro’ jug.

1 Like

Okay, I dredged up this thread because I have a question. The horticultural oil and copper bottles that I used last year are still where I left them, on our back deck. In the meantime they’ve experienced all the weather, including hard freeze.

Should I be concerned about using them? I don’t mind buying more, bot don’t want to waste it if its perfectly good. I assume the active ingredients last indefinitely, but don’t know if stuff precipitates, or won’t emulsify or something.

1 Like

I wouldn’t think freezing would hurt oil or copper. As to precipitating, try a small bit in a hand spray bottle to test if it still mixes okay. Things like Spinosad I wouldn’t want to freeze, though. Freezing doesn’t affect Surround dry powder. i keep my bottles of spray in the basement. Out on the deckI would have been more concerned about a neighbor (or your own) child getting into the copper, which is poisonous in any quantity, I think.

2 Likes

Just an opinion. I think the two are okay to use. If they have settled a good shaking could help.

3 Likes

I have not had any issues using mine that have been through the winter. I shake them up and make sure the liquid does not have any clumps in it.

2 Likes

That time again. I did my last dormant spray of the year yesterday. By the end of the week, things will be at green tip.

It’s amazing the spread in weather around the country. Joe Real has fruitlets on a lot of his trees. My first plum bloom opened yesterday, Hollywood. But you can see the pear clusters and the European plums have made clear which buds will flower.

Meanwhile I’m still getting scion wood harvested for me in New York.

I was away for the last 3 weeks of winter, so 2nd year in a row that I missed my one spray of dormant oil and copper that I was hoping to do. I bought a new sprayer 2 years ago and haven’t used it yet.

Do folks use copper or oil after bloom?

Yes (copper), although not for firelight or peach leaf curl which are only controlled prior to bloom.

Thanks Richard, what do you use the copper on, and when relative to development. If you’ve already posted about it, can you point me to the thread. I’m terrible at searching the forum.

2 Likes

I have used copper to control fungal infections on grapes, sooty molds on citrus and pomegranate, and bacterial spot on prunus and dragon fruit.

A listing of some dosages and alternatives is here:

No, only before green tip.

1 Like

So next month I will try for the first time to do some dormant spraying.

I have some products and will need to read up here more before I’m ready.

Having said that I assume from this photo this is scale? It’s on my flavor grenade. I guess this is one of the critters dormant spraying takes care of, or keeps in control.

1 Like