Down to Earth Citrus Mix

How does this Citrus mix look like? It seems to have most of the micronutrients.

http://downtoearthfertilizer.com/products/blended_fertilizer/citrus-mix-6-3-3/

No manganese, no magnesium, relatively low amounts of NPK so you’re probably going to have to use a lot, especially with lemons (most especially if you have a Meyer lemon). Personally, I would use Dyna Gro’s Foliage Pro in combination with Osmocote Plus. You’ll save money and probably get better results. Oh, and forgot to mention that Foliage Pro is formulated for container plants as well, so no N from a Urea source to prevent biruet build up and root burn.

1 Like

In addition to Hoosierquilts points, the N at least is not in an available form. Fine for outside in the long term, but potted plants often don’t have the micro biology to do the breaking down to make that N available.

Probably OK as a longer term soil builder, outside at least.

I should have mentioned - all my citrus are in ground. And I don’t want to fertilize every few weeks since they are all on drip. So I’m really looking at a dry fertilizer which is preferably organic and cheap too. Osmocote Plus is a bit too pricey at $5 a pound.

Ah, okay, entirely different situation. I should have checked your area, bleeding. This would be okay. I use Gro-Power Premium Citrus & Avocado Food 8-6-8. My previous recommendations are for container citrus.

1 Like

I myself like the Espoma products although a little pricey. Citrus-Tone is excellent. I use it for my potted orange tree .
Foliage pro is an excellent product I agree, but for me, I don’t have time to mix it with every watering and using it in 2 week doses wastes most of it in run off. Organics will not run off. You get 98% of it So I use organics in containers. With bacteria counts at 200 billion per cup of soil it is near impossible to eliminate them from containers. Even when bone dry bacteria need about 24 hours to replace dead ones, so within a day your good to go again. I use mostly organic fertilizer in containers inside and out. I have tropical plants in containers that are over 40 years old and never seen anything but organic fertilizer. I have to haul them inside so today I’m debugging them! I need to sell these plants, they take up way too much room! It’s just I had them so long…

Your’s, DWN’s and a local nurseryman’s recommendations on Gro-Power products have been spot on for me so far. I will be switching over to this from Citrus-tone, which did not work well at all.

Where do you buy these gro power fertilizers?

I buy GP at local independent nurseries here in So Cal.

Sounds like I need to try Gro Power, thanks for the tip!

Humic acid can be a hot button topic, and if you’re on the fence about it you can do your own trial. Personally, I have trialed GP and other products with HA and they have all performed well for me.

Plant Health and Soil Changes with Humic Substance Applications

I have tried Humic acids (more than one type exist) and I didn’t see any difference myself. My conclusion was that I had too many other factors going on to draw any conclusions. I try to use all the fall leaves I can get, even taking my neighbor’s bags of leaves for the garden. I think these leaves have a decent amount of humic acids.
Unless you actually trial it with control plants it’s hard to draw any conclusions. I try to rely on research. Although many studies are very biased. So yeah, on the fence.

Soil type has a lot to do with it, as pointed out in the conclusion. GP is mostly sold here in So Cal where it performs very well.

As stated in the article humic acids are the most abundant organic molecules on earth, so not having it in the mix would be quite difficult. Use of leaves works for me…

Drew, I don’t have a lot of organic materials in my soil. My soil consists of mostly DG. And, don’t have a lot of deciduous trees either (pretty much none except my stone fruits, and I do not mulch those leaves due to PLC), to rake up and my my own leaf mold (excellent stuff - did this a LOT when I lived in Indiana). GP works well for me and I do notice a difference. I also try to get some chicken manure on my trees and top dress with Gro Mulch, but I’ve got so many citrus trees, that’s not a small task :slight_smile: GP is really kind of a local product here in S. California, and formulated for soils like mine in mind.

1 Like

GP sounds like an excellent product. When I mentioned leaves I was more commenting on adding Humic acids via the leaves. I don’t think I need to add more? Maybe to pots? I did add it to all my pots last year. It’s cheap enough and can’t hurt either, but I’m on the fence if I need it? And all soils no matter how good will eventually need nitrogen. I fertilize all my plants on a regular basis too. GP would be hard for me to get so the Espoma products are more in line. I also like using Neptune’s Harvest products. Seaweed, crab shells, and fish emulsion. The seaweed and fish emulsion product is a good substitute for soluble chemical fertilizers.
Earlier in the thread I did mention I should look into obtaining GP, but as you say it is more local to you. To keep things cheap I buy Alfalfa meal, cottonseed meal and neem meal. To boost nitrogen Alfalfa is excellent. It contains sulfur too, and other trace elements.

With my trees I top dress shredded leaves and cover with compost. In the spring I fertilize too with the above mentioned meals or other organic fertilizers. I add compost to all plants, containers too. Compost does have humic acids. Again not sure I need to add more? Probably not.
I try to add as much organic matter to my garden whenever possible. I drink a lot of coffee, and save grounds. I often trench compost plant material from the garden. The other day i did this with my Lilly stalks, some are 5 feet tall. I buried them in my strawberry patch. I clear areas in my strawberry patch to renew it with new plants. So I create an area for new runners to grow. In that area I buried the Lilly stalks. I need a compost pile, yet have no room, so I do what i can to recycle plant material.
Many people buy straw bales for Halloween, so I take those when thrown out and use as mulch along with shredded leaves and pine straw.

Well, doubt you’d need humic acid if you use some portion of compost or composted materials in your potting mix. Doubtful you’d need it. And you have an abundance of organic matter in your soils, naturally. I did, too, when I lived in N. Indiana. I was on the most ideal soil ever - sandy loam. I could just throw seeds on the surface and they would grow, it was a joy to be a veggie gardener there, like a MiracleGro commercial, lol! If you were to see my soil here in S. California, however, you’d know what I use a product like GP. Think of a DG (decomposed granite) pathway you might lay, and you have an idea of what most of my soil in like. Along with ginormous granite boulders left by the developer when our lots were cut (or blasted, in some cases) for garden ornamentation. And why I try to mulch with wood chips all over as well as top dress some of my plants with Gro Mulch. Over the last 6 years of living here, I have been able to finally add a couple of inches of organic matter (filled with earthworms, which is great) to my overall soil on my lot. Some places are still pretty bare, mainly on steeper slopes, so I try to grow Calif. natives there that can tolerate my thin soils. The soil has also softened up as well. All due to the increased organic matter and natural humic acids accumulating. If you’re looking for a good citrus fertilizer for your area (how this thread started), since all of your citrus Drew will be in containers, I would stick with Dyna Gro’s Foliage Pro and Osmocote Plus. This combination has worked very well for those growing citrus in containers.

Yes it does work, I just want to move away from synthetics. Well i still have some of both (well Dynamite not Osmocote), and could use them.

I have clay loam, although as you say it is very rich. the west side has sandy loam, I’m on the east side. The west is where my state grows all of it’s blueberries.

Yup, us in Indiana, too. We have tons of pick your own blueberry fields, it was blueberry mecca where I lived. I grew the MOST delicious blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. OMG. Loved them. Even though we can grow about anything here, plants that require rich organic soils can be a challenge for me.