Dragon fruit

I wish I knew what kind it was. Thought I’d share some pictures of it’s progress. In the spring I will trim off all the stringy branches. Is it true they can flower in the second year?..and they’re so so easy to propagate!
06/15

12/16

3 Likes

It’s definitely a Hylocereus cultivar, but we’ll need pictures of the flower, whole fruit, cut fruit, and brix to narrow it down.

They usually flower on previous year’s growth although I know of one species (H. ocamponis) that prefers terminal growth unless forced to do otherwise.

When grown indoors 4 months or more per year they are sometimes stubborn about setting fruit until the 3rd or 4th year.

Hand pollinating with a long narrow feather is recommended.

Great Canadian nurseries we have here. Just sold as “cactus” not well known up here yet
Thank you Richard. I’ll feed it well in the spring. What month should I prune off the old thin growth so I get thick healthy new growth for 2017?

Matt, the thin growth is a result of insufficient solar light. It is adventurous – seeking a better light source. Cutting it back won’t necessarily produce stouter growth. I typically see it when a dragon fruit vine enters full shade. Keep in mind though that most Hylocereus will fry in all day full sun. In my mild climate, I grow mine against a west-facing wall so it only receives morning sun. Professional growers farther inland grow them under 40% shade cloth.

I recommend a winter and summer light copper spraying to control bacterial spot disease.

1 Like

That looks exactly like what we have growing in our living room, and which my wife tells me is “euphorbia”. We’ve had it for decades with no issues -either disease or fruit. It doesn’t get much light and I am not aware of it ever flowering. Actually a kind of unattractive thing to my eye. I gather it’s a spurge, is that right?

Yes the stringy growth is aways from winter. you’ve had it for decades and no fruit?? maybe you have euphorbia lactea of some sort. The two plants are very different looking.

Morning Richard, what kind of fertilizer do you suggest for dragon fruit. Got my red with white flesh and pink flesh dragon fruit?

I have a trellis where I used to grow climbing yam vines and passionfruit. Currently empty. PVC pipe posts and wires between them. I think the wires might be irrelevant here, but ¿can I successfully plant dragonfruit on the posts? ¿Will they climb and adhere to PVC, or do I need to modify them somehow? ¿Maybe scratching them up or covering them with something?

2 Likes

@Caesar
I recommend you attach a vertical lattice to each post so you can provide additional support to the pods. Flowers usually sprout from prior year’s pods.

4 Likes