Drippin' Honey Asian Pear

Out of curiosity does Asian pears ripen off tree?

Yes, they do. You can eat them off the trees. No need to go through chilling process like Euro. Asian pears are meant to eat while crisp, crunchy.

1 Like

I just checked my drippen honey and tilt picked 7 rest not there yet. Was wondering. Nights in the low 50s and day 70s. Not much time left. And Korean giant even farther behind

Andrew, I picked a Jilin today. Slightly sweet texture is dense and on the dry side. The seeds are still not ripe yet maybe be another two weeks or so.

2 Likes

Is that the color of a ripe Drippin’ Honey?
Slight green over a Yellow background?
And, if you know, what is the color of a ripe Hardy Giant?

Where are you in zone 6. My zone 6 Hardy Giant, Korean Giant ripen in early Oct.

Technically we’re 7a.
I’ll going to bore you with my problem.
I bought a 2 in 1 asian pear from Stark years ago.
It was supposed to be a New Century and a Giant and I’ve never been able to get anything that looks like giant to me.
So I asked Stark how to distinguish the 2 since I might be picking one of them (the Giant) too early.
They’re all getting yellow now and they look the same so I sent them photos of the 3 branches off the trunk, the fruit on them, and the trunk itself to see if they can even tell if the graft took.
So I was looking to use color as a way to distinguish the 2 varieties.
As for the Drippin’ Honey, I also worry about picking that one too early so that’s why I asked about the color. The deer seem to love it at any stage.
Bottom line, I still don’t know for sure but I think the graft probably didn’t take on the 2 in 1…

1 Like

If you can post pics, people here can probably help as many grow Asian pears.

Korean Giant can get big when thin well. I had a couple near and over a lb in the past. Their skin are not yellow. They go from greenish brown to brown/russeted skin.

1 Like

Not sure what you can tell from this 1 pic. It’s from Aug 18.
There are 3 limbs and to me everything on them looks the same today - only yellow…
image-1 (4)

1 Like

These don’t look like stark giant to me. Stark giant is brown russet

1 Like

Isn’t it a bit too early to pick them?

1 Like

I think Stark Giant is its name for Korean Giant, isn’t it?

1 Like

Yes, they are. Ihave both can’t tell the difference

Yours are definitely not Stark Giant aka Korean Giant.

Here is my KG, a month away from ripening.

5 Likes

@PharmerDrewee
Is this Shin Li? I have one fruit on the graft.

1 Like

I was afraid of that.
Either the graft failed or it was never there.

Yes, this looks very much like Shin Li. How’s its size? This one is normally pretty large although the size on mine is suffering this year due to poor thinning. The leaves are also larger than most of my other pears.

1 Like

Thanks, Andrew. Mine is medium size. A small graft with one fruit.

When Shin Li ripens where you are?

It ripens later but not as late as Korean Giant. I think mine should be ready in a couple of weeks. One was being attacked by ants yesterday after something bored through it. It was definitely not ripe.

1 Like

Several of my KG got drilled by yellow jackets and later rot moved in!!

1 Like