Drippin' Honey Asian Pear

The flavor of Drippin’ Honey Asian Pear was good last year but this year is incredible. It’s hard to believe the fruit could be as good as these are! Highly recommend them because of the size , flavor , and they are moderately easy to grow.

8 Likes

Clark,

My Mishirasu looks different and bigger than your Drippin’ Honey Asian Pear. I got my scion from Grover aka. Ace Of Spades. Here is Ace original Mishirasu Asian pear photo. I think they are a little different. Some said they are the same. Who knows.

Tony

2 Likes

Cliff England got this pear called McGee pear Cliff stated: " This Hybrid pear was send to us to evaluate undoubtedly the best non-Asian Pear as in Nashi that I have ever consumed." I will see if Cliff can send a stick to test it out.

Tony

2 Likes

Tony,
For some reason they wound up smaller than normal this year. Typically they are similar in size to grapefruit.

2 Likes

I would love to get some scion wood from you next spring Tony.

Sure, send me an email next Februaryand We will swap some scions.

Tony

1 Like

How is their fireblight resistance?

No FB or other diseases here in Omaha.

Tony

Thanks for the Drippin’ Honey report.That gives me one more thing to look for in the future.My Chojuro/Drippin’ Honey tree had two Pears each this year,but either the Crows or Squirrels took them down.I’ll have to net. Brady

1 Like

Vohd,
They are resistant but do get Fireblight. I had a problem 1 year and pruned it out.

1 Like

Thanks, Tony and Clark. I appreciate hearing your experiences. Do they keep as well as Olympic and Chojuro?

By any chance, have either of you tried Hatsuhi or Amatama, the offspring of Mishirazu x Chojuro?

Drippin Honey is honestly the only Asian pear I’m growing right now that is producing fruit. They ripened this week and they are meant to be eaten ASAP. I may be growing chojuro but I don’t recall now. I grafted a bunch of new varieties in a hurry a few years ago.

1 Like

Vohd,
Tony grows many more varieties than I do of Asian pears and will be better able to answer your question.

Vohd,

Last year, I stored my Olympic/ KG for at least five months until they all crinkled and still tasted good with high sugar. I don’t think the Mishirasu will store that long but it was a nice addition to the collection. The fruits were larger than the Olympic/KG. Some were greater then a pound each. The only other pear that could store longer than the Olympic/KG was the Fragrance Asian pear from China from the New York Time article. I asked the Asian market owner in Omaha that how long could the FP be store with the paper and foam wrapping and he told me about 7 months. I grafted 4 trees of the FP from the USDA scion called Lantai Jululi. I hoped they are the same variety since the description from the USDA called Fragrance Asian pear from China.

Tony

2 Likes

Nice discussion, good info! I saw that McGee pear on facebook, hopefully that and the Lantai Jululi become more available, I’d love to try them!

Thanks, Tony and Clark.

I have had the same experience with Olympic coming out of storage–a bit crinkled but a nice surprise in March.

1 Like

Has it ever been fully determined if Drippin honey is the same thing as Mishirasu? Seems like a lot of speculation out there on the internet but nothing confirmed. My new Asian Combo tree has Mishirasu on it and it sounds like a winner.

1 Like

I was probably the one that got the rumor going about Drippin’ Honey being Mishirasu. My findings were based off of descriptions and photos of Mishirasu compared to my own Drippin’ Honey fruit. And Tony’s own description seemed to fit. Of course, there’s probably no way to know for certain.

@scottfsmith noted in that old thread that he had both, but one hadn’t fruited yet. Scott, did your pears ever both fruit and could you make a comparison?

Tony,

Do you have to provide winter protection for this variety? I thought I read somewhere that the Fragrance Pear can only survive up to zone 6/7…

Just wonder before I add that to the wish list.

Tom

Fragrant pear can handle Zone 5 with no issues. Contact me next if you want some scion.

Tony